View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #13
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1949-1950 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFFSEASON

Massive changes happened in the league. Providence and Indianapolis folded, leaving MVP Mikan available in the dispersion draft. Also, a whopping SEVEN new teams are entering the league; Sheboygan Red Skins, Anderson Packers, Tri-Cities Blackhawks, Waterloo Hawks, Denver Nuggets, Indianapolis Olympians (this is a completely different Indy team than the one that folded), and Syracuse Nationals. In real life, these 17 teams were split into 3 divisions, but the game is only having them in two.

We have the 17th and final pick in the dispersal draft. By the time we picked, there were only two players available, so we took PF Brady Walker from Indianapolis. Anderson had the first pick and took Mikan.

For the expansion draft, we have to expose a player. I went with Vaughn, since he didn’t play much for us last year. He was taken second by Syracuse.

We pick 17th in both rounds of the rookie draft. There are a couple of decent players at the top of the draft, but I don’t expect anyone that can help us by the time we pick. I picked C Al Miksis in the first round. He looks to be a good rebounder, but that’s about it. In the second round, I take SF Wayne See. I couldn't find any interesting tidbits about either player. Dolph Schayes was taken #1 overall by Rochester.

Depth was the name of the game for this season’s free agency haul, but we would be competing with a lot of expansion teams with plenty of cap space. We have Bird rights to Simmons, so he is one of my top priorities to sign. In addition, I offered deals to SG Mel Riebe, and PG Arnie Ferrin. Simmons was in high demand, so it took a 7 year max deal to sign him. I hope I don’t end up with buyer’s remorse on this one. Riebe is 33 years old, so I don’t want to sign him for more than 2 years. Other teams are willing, so I wrote him off as a lost bid. I offered undrafted rookie SG Paul Walther a 1 year minimum deal. Ferrin ended up signing a four year deal with us. Reibe signed soon after in a surprise, as did Walther. Other than Fulks, all of our key players are now signed to multi-year deals. In real life, Reibe also played minor league baseball, Ferrin was 4 time All American at Utah and later became their athletic director, and Walther served in WW2 and was an all star one season.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote