View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 06:46 PM   #31
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1959-60 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFFSEASON

Joe Fulks becomes the second member of the Hall of Fame.

With the 4th pick in the draft, we take SF Bob Ferry. There’s not much left in the second round, so we select PG Tony Windis. Bob Ferry is the father of Danny Ferry. Wilt Chamberlain goes #1 to St. Louis. I’m glad he’s not in our division.

Stokes isn’t asking a ridiculous amount, so I offer a four year deal. In addition, I offer two years to PG Cliff Hagan, and three years to SG Dick Garmaker. Detroit outbids me for Hagan, so I increase my offer, and extend it to four years. Philly offers Stokes a 6 year deal for more money than I am willing to spend, so I let him go. Detroit tries to outbid me for Garmaker, so I up his offer to four years. I also offer C Joe Grabowski a two year deal, outbidding Detroit. Garmaker signs, but Grabowski takes Detroit’s offer instead. After losing Grabowski, I offer C Jim Browne a three year deal. Hagan decided to take St. Louis’ offer instead of mine, and now I’m frustrated. I offer PF Tom Heinsohn a three year deal, and then our old fried Art Spoelstra a one year minimum offer. Nobody wants to sign, as Browne goes to Philly instead. Syracuse outbids me for Heinsohn, so I increased my offer, and extended to four years. It wasn’t enough, and he signed with Syracuse.

With decent centers all signed, I decide to see if Lloyd wants to return for a one year minimum deal. I also outbid St. Louis for SG Ed Fleming. Lloyd signs, but Fleming signs with St. Louis. Since it seems only ex-players are willing to sign with me, I offer a 1 year min deal to Miksis. Soon, St. Louis outbids me for Spoelstra. I increase his offer, but he signs with St. Louis anyways. Miksis signs with us. Krebs looks like the best available player, and I am now regretting cancelling the team option on him. I offer him a two year deal, and he accepts.

I have no idea why I couldn’t get anyone to sign. This really messed up my plans, and makes it look like it will be another rough season. For other teams, Ken Sears went to Philadelphia from Syracuse, and Tom Gola went to Syracuse from Philly.

PRE-SEASON

We are picked to finish second this season, behind Philly. Our lineup will be C-Pettit, PF-Kalafat, SF-Johnston, SG-Garmaker, and PG-Guerin. Ferry and Cousy complete the rotation. We go 3-3 this preseason.

REGULAR SEASON

Guerin wants a five year max extension to stay with the team. He’s a stud, so I agree. Johnston breaks his cheekbone which costs him two weeks. We struggle in November, finishing 4-7.

We continue to struggle without Johnston, but he returns the second week of December. We win the next three games before Pettit gets a minor knee sprain. We then lose Bockhorn to a stress fracture which will take him out of action for about a month. We start to play better, and manage to enter the new decade at .500 with a 13-13 record. Johnston wins player of the month.

The new decade doesn’t start out any better on the injury front, as we lose Guerin with a hyperextended knee in the first game. We then lose Johnston in the second game with a finger injury. We muddle along, get everyone healthy, and then lose Garmaker for over a month with tendinitis in his knee. With that injury, everyone in the starting lineup has gone on the injury list. However, we somehow get hot, and finish the month on a 6 game winning streak at 22-18, which propels us into first place, 1 game in front of both Boston and Syracuse. Pettit takes home player of the month honors.

Guerin, Johnston, and Pettit all go to the all-star game. The first game after the break, Johnston dislocates his shoulder, which might take him out for the remainder of the regular season. We struggle without him in the lineup, and finish the month at 27-25, tied for first with Syracuse. The East is a tight battle, as Boston is only ½ game back, and Philly is only 1 ½ games from the lead.

Johnston’s injury is healing well, and we should have him back late in the season. In the meantime, the team continues to battle, and we finish March at 35-30, still tied for first, but with Philly. Boston and Syracuse are 4 games back.

I initially think it’s an April Fools joke, but we are healthy for the first time all season. This corresponds with a nice winning streak, but it doesn’t last long, as Ferry breaks his cheekbone, and is out for the rest of the regular season. He should be back early in the playoffs. Johnston breaks his finger the next game, but hopefully won’t miss much. Guerin injures his hip, and the losses are starting to mount. Both injuries are minor, so I’m trying to hang on for dear life. With four games remaining, we have a two game lead. A win over Syracuse clinches our first division title since the 1949-1950 season. We finish the month at 43-33, and secure a much needed first round bye. Pettit was terrific, winning player of the month. Everyone should be healthy when we play our next series.

PLAYOFFS

Nelson won coach of the year for the team’s success this year. Pettit and Guerin were 1st team all-NBA, and Johnston made 3rd team. Windis was 1st team all-rookie. Wilt Chamberlain won rookie of the year and MVP, and broke Fulks’ single season scoring record he recorded in the first year of the league.

Philly defeated Boston 3-1 to set up our series for the conference finals. We only went 10-12 against them this year, so this will be a difficult series for us. We were able to win game 1 in a tight contest, 113-108. Disaster strikes in game 2. Both Pettit and Johnston are injured in a 126-120 loss. I cannot believe our bad luck with injuries this season. The injuries are too much to overcome, and we get slaughtered in game 3 142-108. Game 4 is just as ugly, losing 135-90. We play slightly better at home, but still lose rather easily 120-106. At times, I feel like this franchise is cursed.

St. Louis goes on to defeat Philly in the finals. Wilt looks unstoppable.

I don’t think we would have beaten St. Louis in the finals, but the fact we cannot stay healthy is mind boggling to me. I look at the other teams, and their star players don’t seem to be missing as much time. Next year’s draft is a good one, but we pick next-to-last. All of our important players are signed for the next two years, so maybe with a little luck, we can find the one piece that can put us over the top.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote