View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #35
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1961-62 NEW YORK KNICKS

OFF SEASON

The league is expanding, adding the Chicago Packers as an expansion team.

I have to expose one player for the expansion draft, so I choose to let Joliff go. He was the last player taken.

For some reason, we end up with the 2nd pick in the draft. I don’t know why we are picking ahead of Cincinnati, but I’m not complaining. We take PF Ray Scott. In the second round, I take SG Donnie Butcher. The Lakers take C Walt Bellamy with the #1 pick.

Center is the biggest priority in free agency. As of now, I’m not interested in signing anyone we have Bird rights to, although if Johnston wants to sign a friendly contract, I would consider it. I offer 37 year old George Mikan a one year minimum deal, as he looks to be the best available center right now. I also offer a team friendly three year deal to SF Woody Sauldsberry. Boston outbids me for Sauldsberry, so I up the deal to four years, and increase the offer. Boston ups their offer, so I do the same. While I’m waiting for the decision, Mikan signs. Syracuse and LA jump into the Sauldsberry sweepstakes. I decide to up the offer one last time and extend it to five years. Syracuse and Boston drop out, but LA increases their offer. I give up on Sauldsberry and begin to look elsewhere.

I offer PF Jim Krebs a three year deal, which he accepts. I then offer PG Lou Tsioropoulos a one year min deal, which immediately gets outbid by LA. I then turn to SG John Rennicke with a one year min deal, which gets accepted.

Johnston signs a max four year deal with Chicago. Cousy signs a one year minimum deal with Detroit.

PRE-SEASON

I decide to decline the team option on Ferry, as he doesn’t figure into our long term plans. The media picks up to finish third this season, with Syracuse on top. Our starting lineup will be C-Scott, PF- Pettit, SF-Guerin, SG-Garmaker, PG-Attles, with Gambee and Greer filling out the rotation. We go 2-4 in the pre-season, so I don’t have high expectations this year.

REGULAR SEASON

We start off by losing the first two games, with Scott dislocating his shoulder in the second game. He’ll be out over a month. Honestly, I think the injuries in this game are broken. Chicago offers to trade the #3 pick in the draft, SF Lee Schaffer, for Gambee. While I think this will hurt us short term, Gambee’s on the last year of his contract, so I pull the trigger. Greer wants a five year extension, and I agree to it. We actually don’t play too bad in November, finishing at 7-8, with Shaffer taking home rookie of the month.

Scott returns early in December, but only plays in four games before spraining his ankle, which will sideline him for almost another month. This immediately starts an eight game losing streak, and we finish December at 10-19. Even though he barely played, Scott takes home rookie of the month.

Scott comes back early in January, and we begin to play a little better. Towards the end of the month, Pettit breaks his finger, but shouldn’t miss more than a couple of games. In the last game of the month, we lose Ferry to a broken foot, which puts him out about five weeks. We finish the month at 17-26, which is still good enough for third, but we are in a battle with Boston to avoid the cellar. Scott takes home rookie of the month.

About the time we get Pettit back, Attles sprains his knee, which will put him out of action for a couple of weeks. Garmaker turns around and gets a dislocated shoulder the last game before the all-star break, which will take him out for about 6-7 weeks. Guerin and Pettit both go to the all-star game. We continue our battle with Boston for the last playoff spot, finishing February at 22-33, two games from the basement. Scott wins another rookie of the month.

We start strongly in March, and Ferry returns. Garmaker returns to the lineup late in the month. We end up with a good month, and finish at 32-38, 6 ½ games in front of Boston, but still 9 ½ games back of Philly. Scott continues his strong rookie season, winning another rookie of the month award.

Even though we start April out terribly, Boston isn’t playing any better, and we clinch a playoff spot with four games left in the season. With our spot locked in, we rest our starters to avoid injury. The first game after I bench the starters, Greer injures his knee, which should knock him out for the rest of the season, including playoffs. This forces me to bring back Garmaker. The next game, Krebs injures his back, and I have to activate Scott. We manage to survive the rest of the season with no further injuries, and finish at 35-45.

I derped and forgot to export the data before ending the season. I can go into the archives to get the standings, but the leaderboard is specific to the export.

POST SEASON

Pettit and Guerin both make 2nd team all-NBA. Somehow, Schaffer makes 1st rookie team while Scott only gets 2nd team. Probably because the first team center was rookie of the year Walt Bellamy. Oscar Robertson wins MVP.
We get Philly in the first round, and although they finished 12 games ahead of us, we did go 11-12 against them this season. We play poor defense in game 1, and lose 141-129. We manage to steal game 2 126-118 behind Pettit’s 28 points and 21 boards. In game 3, we survive a furious comeback attempt, squeaking out a 120-119 victory. With a chance to pull off the upset in game 4, Scott shows why he was our first pick, scoring 40 in a 133-120 win.

We get Syracuse in the conference finals, and avoiding a sweep would be an accomplishment. We went 5-19 against them during the season. Krebs is back for game 1, although not 100%. The game doesn’t go well as we lose 137-120. Game 2 isn’t any better, and we lose 133-116. Home court advantage continues to hold, as we win game 3 easily 113-90. Guerin missed a triple-double by one assist. Game 4 was a shootout, but Pettit was the star, scoring 42 in a 147-142 victory. We still have no answers on the road, as Pettit injures a finger in a 119-106 loss. He plays through the injury in game 6, and we force a game 7, winning 127-101. Pettit comes up huge in the first game 7 in franchise history, scoring 41 and pulling down 19 boards in a 131-120 upset. The win is slightly costly, as Ferry picks up a minor hip injury. However, we are making our first finals appearance in 12 seasons.

Our reward is to face the two-time defending champs, and #1 team St. Louis Hawks, behind superstar Wilt Chamberlain. Amazingly, we did beat them once in our two meetings this season. We don’t put up much of a fight in game 1, losing 137-123, as Wilt scores 74. Although we hold him to 58 in game 2, the result is even worse, going down 144-123. Our undefeated home record in the playoffs ends in game 3, losing 142-129. Game 4 is our best game in the series, but it’s not enough to avoid the sweep, losing 124-120.

It was a great playoff run, but right now, St. Louis is unbeatable. For next season, Ferry is the only player who got minutes who isn’t signed. I’m regretting decline the team option for his contract, as he had a solid season for us this year. Next year’s draft is deep, so we should be able to get a player that can help us. We had a fluky run in the playoffs, so we still have a long way to go before we are challenging for a title.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote