View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #287
Radii
Head Coach

Injury Update

DR Stephen Lacey hurts his back while lifting weights, out 4-6 weeks. I guess we'll have to wait awhile to see if he can earn some minutes at fullback.

Friendly #2

We host the Raleigh Pioneers. We get an early goal as Otoo wins a header in our end, gets it to Dempsey, to Shakespeare, ahead to Cole, he lobs it into the area from 35 yards out, Cooper charges onto it and scores. Happy to see all those guys involved in the play. They tie it up on a lob pass in the 32nd minute. Both Otoo and Ashe were nearby and seemed to struggle with the high ball. Late in the first half Cooper scores again, I've noticed Dempsey making multiple decisive passes forward, maybe not terribly difficult ones, but I'm liking what I'm seeing anyway.

We make our subs at halftime, full new team. We get a 3rd goal in the 65th minute, Wilkins is the scorer after Pickering wins a header on a goal kick and we charge forward quickly. Roth with the assist. 78th minute Fisher lobs a ball towards the area, their defender misjudges it, Roth is there and scores easily.

Wake Forest 4 : 1 Raleigh

2 goals Cooper, 1 from Wilkins and Roth. 2 Assists Cole, 1 from Fisher, 1 from Roth. Otoo is the only man to struggle today, I assume he took the blame for their goal. 6.2 from him.

Injury Update

GK Amidu Gyan is out for ~2 weeks with a bruised thigh in training.

Preseason Odds

The Georgia Revolution are the favorites to win the league this year at 5:4. They finished 2nd last year but lost out in the playoffs. The NC Fusion are 3:1, then there is a big cluster of 10 teams between 5:1 and 8:1. On the other end, at the very bottom are the Valdosta Victory at 300:1, the Tornados de Humacao at 150:1, and the Hickory Heat at 100:1.

Wake Forest are expected to be better than those three teams, but to fight against relegation in the end. We are tied with the Miami Tango for the 16th/17th spots at 40:1.

-- We have to decide team win bonuses, I stick with the "Normal" bonuses for both league and cup play. That's $160k payed out to the players for winning the league, $45k if they win a cup.

-- The final group stage of World Cup Qualifying has begun in North America. The group is the USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Canada and Panama. Top three qualify, 4th has a playoff

-- As we near the transfer deadline, I look through the rosters of all the other teams in the state of North Carolina, looking to see if there is a player out there somewhre who we could overpay for, who might play for us, that could be a game changer. I doubt I'll get anyone, I do make one offer though for a striker who is a backup on a team a couple levels above us but seems like he might be a superstar for us... if he's willing to sink to our level.

-- And days later, no luck. Charlotte accepts our offer, but the player is not interested in playing for us at all.

Contract update

-- On February first one of our players leaves the team b/c he doesn't have a contract. Its a deep backup/reserve MC that I didn't want anyway, but it makes me wonder do I need to lock up some of these guys who are just sitting out there?

I end up making non-contract/appearance type offers to a few players that I really don't want to lose just to be safe.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote