View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

Outside The Law (1920)
Directed By: Tod Browning
Starring: Priscilla Dean, Wheeler Oakman, Lon Chaney
Length: 75 min

Lon Chaney played two roles in this film. The one pictured above (Ah Wing) and as the main bad guy, mobster 'Black' Mike Sylva. He was a pioneer of make up in movies, but we'll get to that in later films (namely, the monster/horror films he starred in).

Molly Madden (Priscilla Dean) and her father were once crooks who went straight with the help of Ah Wing (Lon Chaney), a teacher of Confucius philosophy. However, 'Black' Mike Sylva (Lon Chaney) frames Molly's father of a crime, and he is sent to prison. Sylva's framing of Molly's father is known only to Dapper Bill Ballard (Wheeler Oakman) who then turn to set up Molly.

However, Molly and Dapper Bill turn the tables on Sylva and make off with a fortune in jewelry and go into hiding. Sylva tries to track down the two theives as Ah Wing makes a deal with the chief of police that the charges will be dropped if Molly and Dapper Bill return the jewels. Ah Wing correctly predicts the two will have a change of heart, thanks to a little boy that melts their hearts, but it happens a bit too late as Sylva finds them. A back and forth struggle of words and actions between the three ensue. In the end, Sylva's framing of Molly's father is revealed, while Molly and Dapper Bill are let go.

A good crime thriller that painfully drags in the middle. The whole story arc with the kid is just....well, something that people who love kids will probably eat up. I felt like vomiting.

Lon Chaney, of course, steals the show in his role of 'Black' Mike Sylva, as I'm sure he stole the show in most movies he did. In the era of Silent film, it seems like every actor either overacts or underacts, does things way too slowly or way too fast, and just generally comes off as odd and boring as they do their best to act their lines. To me, making 'odd' boring is a sin! Lon Chaney seemed to find just the right level of behavior acting and just the right pace. I would say, admittedly based on this one performance, he is so far the best actor I've seen on my journey, followed closely by Lillian Gish.

The historic rating of Outside The Law is hurt by the fact that it doesn't seem to be remembered much at all. It didn't make its way as a nominee for any of AFI's lists, there aren't any reviews of the film by modern critics (like those I've been able to find of Ebert on Nation, Intolerance and Blossoms). And, I could only find one pic on the internet from the movie, and that was of the supporting character that Chaney played. It would seem that the only real historic merit it has is that it has Lon Chaney in it! Entertainment wise, it would score higher if it wasn't for the middle. Great beginning, good ending, horrible in between.

Historical Rating: 4/10
Entertainment Rating: 4/10

Last edited by sabotai : 12-16-2007 at 10:50 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote