View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #71
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think you could make an argument that non-profits that already receive Medicaid are not the target audience for a bill trying to get money to small businesses and people who lost their job. I'm sure there was a political component to it as well - but I atleast see some logic. Voter registration and carbon emissions on airlines make little sense in this bill.

IMO, we should do a new bill specifically for voting once this is done. Given the risk of having people overload poll locations (even in the fall), we should setup a plan where all states should allow mail-in and early voting for everyone. I would be glad to have that conversation and have people put some thought into it after a bunch of my friends who are unemployed and worried about their mortgage in April get some relief.

I'll have that conversation for you: the GOP is against expansion of any voting rights at all, period. In fact, they've been pretty aggressively contracting them for years in states where they have control of the state apparatus.