View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #77
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Again, why the SPECIFIC exclusion for non-profits? If you look at the list of them it becomes readily apparent why the GOP wanted that in.

This is the GOP's message, and sadly it appears to be working: "We ignored and downplayed the seriousness of this for WEEKS. But now if the Democrats don't immediately agree with what we want to pass, they are putting everyone in danger."
Again, I think a debate about who should and shouldn’t be eligible to receive the aid money is ok for this bill. My issue is more with using the things that have nothing to do with getting aid money out as a political football. Pelosi looks like she would rather have people not get aid for another week or two in order to get one of her unrelated items passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What do we need to figure out? Mail in voting, early voting, same day voter registration are minor fixes to prevent people congregating to vote to stop the spread of Covid 19. This part isn't an economic stimulus, true, but it is way to stop the spread of the virus.
There are a ton of "no-brainer" things from either side we could pass to help the Covid-19 spread. But trying to put them all in a quick relief aid bill would mean it doesn't come out until May. Plus, I don't think most people are against Mail in voting on its own - many republican run states have that going run now. It's more the same-day voter registration that the GOP doesn't like. Either way, a real debate needs to be had on voting - but not one that holds up aid that people need.

Last edited by Arles : 03-24-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote