View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #488
miami_fan
Coordinator

Was it clearly a more family friendly environment for the Hungarian school children? I don't remember hearing about how the Hungarian schoolchildren were negatively affected by what went on the last time England went there. What about the family friendly environment for the England supporters at the match yesterday? Oh yeah, there were none because the match was supposedly being played behind closed doors.

The thing is UEFA did not have to say they were playing the game behind closed doors if they didn't want to do it and allowed that as the end result. I get it. No one believes that playing a game behind closed doors will change the fans' behavior. Having games played behind closed doors sucks as a TV viewing product and it is probably not something UEFA was to broadcast to the world especially after the pandemic. Here is my suggestion. Next time something like this happens, UEFA can just send out the following statement.

"The racism/homophobia expressed in the stadium during the game are those of the fans and those fans only. They do not represent the opinions and beliefs of UEFA and its member nations."

Easy does it and every one can move on with their business. If the Hungarian FA wants to invite the school children in, they can do that out of the goodness of their hearts at any point. The fact that they are doing it in association with the punishment/penalties isn't a good look either nor should it be something that is commeded.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote