View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #254
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was searching for something else, but in the meantime, i re-found this thread. It's now more than 2 years later, and the dude hasn't even gone to trial yet. For some reason, that's absolutely amazing to me. His attorney's have attempted to have him plead guilty and avoid the death penalty, but it doesn't look like the prosecution will take it.

This is a fairly big story down here, but from what I understand the lawyers have spent lots of money on his defense, but are completely out. And the state legislature passed something recently that caps money for criminal defense. Basically they are saying the trial is so big, they can't possibly afford to defend him, let alone what is required for the death penalty. I think he plead guilty to some, but there are still like 50 pending charges.

Seems pretty silly to pursue the death penalty when you won't give them adequate representation. Just let him plead guilty and sentence him to a bunch of life terms. He won't get out, it will probably cost taxpayers less in the long run, and it will be over.