View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #63
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark
4. Careless trading. Too often, weak players end up being exploited, and the game ends up with every player having complete color groups. I've seen serious (tournement) games where more than half the color groups remained split for a long time. The way it should work is that once one player has a color group, the other players (or some subset of them) should trade among themselves to create color groups. Rarely does it make sense to trade with the leading player.

Most of the at-all-serious games I have played included ruthless defenses of color groups, and I'm rightin the middle of that. I need to be wildly overcompensated to unblock a monopoly. And I generally don't trust my nitwitted fellow players to be as tough as I am.

This is one reason, I think, why playing the game with a time limit is worthwhile -- there's nothing wrong with a game that essentially reaches a standstill where nobody has a meaningful color group assembled, and therefore nobody is really going to go broke. At some point, just settle it up, count up everyone's net worth, and keep score. Move on.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote