View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #75
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
This does beg an interesting question. I'm going to complain that Monopoly isn't nearly as strategic or balanced as Quik contends. In the end, there's not much strategy and almost wholly based on what properties you land on in the first ~5 times around. With $1500, there's just not much strategy or thought early on- it's a giant land grab, especially if you mortgage stuff as soon as you buy it.

So I'll propose a crazy house rule. Only $500 starting cash and $400 each time you pass Go. That way, the buying decisions happen every single time around.

If you play with Free Parking money, it is quite unbalanced- early-mid game is means a lot more when the giant land grab is going on. Later on, it's more a matter of "well, that $500 gives me an extra half stop on one of his 6 hotels". Or it can allow you to try and come back if you've been losing (sure, I only have one Monopoly, but now I can build on it) So I tend to suggest to people that if they want to do Free Parking money that it's limited to taxes/cards or nothing prior to all properties being bought up.

But I think that seeding Free Parking adds some complexity to late game so it can sometimes allow for comebacks and decisions that wouldn't otherwise happen. Otherwise, late game is typically one player sitting back and waiting until someone lands on their hotels while everyone else prays they get to go to jail and hoping the leader lands on one of their more meager posessions.

SI

Good points about the money grab...But I found that people will get into money holes once that happens, and they aren't able to acquire that one or two key properties they need later in the game. The funds are restricted to build up the properties.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-26-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote