View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #65
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
Okay, I think I've just played the most incredible span of three seasons in FOF7 that I'm ever likely to.

I started a game about five days ago and randomly chose to use the Bucs. After dabbling for a number of seasons with various pre-packaged offensive schemes and my variation of what I interpreted the Gandalf defense to be (from the legendary 'Defense Wins Championships' dynasty on these hallowed pages), I decided that playing GM rather than GM and coach was more my thing, so I turned over all gameplanning to my coach (who, by this stage was Drew Brees....like I said, we are a few years into the game by now).

Anyhow, I had far too much money invested into only a handful of players who were on the wrong side of their careers (for example, a once-great receiver was earning $20m yet had declined all the way to 37/37). So I decided to blow it all up and start again. Literally. Every single player on my roster was either traded or released.

After making the first four selections myself in the draft (and dodging what the staff would have almost certainly chosen, a 6/31 quarterback), I had 17 rookies assembled. I padded it out with another 29 rookie free agent signings, all exclusively chosen for their chemistry ratings.

Every single player on our roster was a rookie, and the first season was a bit of a hard slog. We did end up winning 4 games however, and weasled our way out of the first overall pick.

We completely avoided the free agent market (although we did make a belated dash for a 90/90 corner), and invested heavily in the draft once again. No stud quarterback, so again I made the first pick and went for a tackle with sexy bars. The post-draft free agency signings were bereft of any actual talent, so I went for affinity and chemistry once again.

Second season done and dusted, and we finished 5-11, good enough for the third overall pick. We tried to move up to first overall but I had my doubts over the quality of the studly quarterback sitting at the top of the pile. The Saints, division rivals, held the first pick and I'm sure that was part of their reluctance to trade.

The QB goes first overall and he bottoms out at 17/40. We dodged a bullet. Tampa takes the best available player at third overall, and we have a 49/84 defensive end on our books. Our 63 rated starter who was drafted in the original "genesis" draft is ticked off a little but he's still comfortably our starter.

I limit myself to just two free agent signings who weren't rookies - both rated in the mid-40s and strong on affinity and chemistry. Camp comes and goes and we pump out an undefeated pre-season. My expectations are to maybe break even for 8-8 in our third rebuilding season.

Well, was I wrong. Very wrong. On the back of 21 sacks from the rookie DE, and 4000 yards from a quarterback that we picked off the street two years ago, we sweep all before us. Only a loss to the Panthers in the last week of the season prevents us from scoring a perfect season. That's right, we go 15-1.

We don't have any particular strength - 15th in passing, 9th in rushing. 11th defending the rush, 28th against the pass. Ten of our wins are by 7 points or less. Yet here we are with our best record in this dynasty history (easily beating the previous mark of 11-5).

The good times don't end there however, as we beat the Packers 27-17 in the division round, and then ease past the Niners 24-10 in the conference championship. We are off to the Super Bowl!

Miami are our opponents and the media gleefully talks up the "Florida Bowl", even if it is played in Texas. The Dolphins are the defending champions and play like it, opening up a 17-3 lead by halftime. However, we close the gap to just seven points by the two minute warning, and then having used up all our timeouts, intercept the Dolphins with just eight seconds to go, down by 7. First and ten on the Bucs 33.

The stadium erupts into pandemonium when we connect on our last play of the game, as our third year quarterback finds our third year receiver (also found on the street) and he runs it in for the score. The kick is good! Overtime!

Miami win the toss and receive, but their quarterback has the yips and throws another pick on the first play of their drive. We pound the ball seven yards closer to the sticks and then send in the kicker for the win! The kick is good and the Bucs win!

With $142 million left under the cap, we will be able to keep anyone who wants to stick around and develop this new Bucs dynasty.

I'm absolutely stoked.

Wow! Looking forward to a year 4 update!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote