View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #74
PilotMan
Head Coach

3. 1B Graham Sheffield; 24; acquired via trade with the Waukesha Volunteers of the PLB. Would sign for 1yr/$68,800.

Everything that Blanco was to the staff Sheffield represented to our offense. Granted he was playing a position that I was already set up at, but luckily that other guy could move to third. Graham was unsigned out of high school and turned pro by signing with Waukesha in 1980. Even though he was #17 prospect he didn't make his debut until 1982 when he took over starting first base and didn't let go. He finished as runner up ROY in '82, but had dropped to #65 prospect. He did however hit 64 HR's those first 2 years and then went on to win the Triple Crown in '84. He posted a .364 average, with 34 HR and 118 RBI in 124 games (no injury; the PLB plays a shorter schedule) winning the MVP with ease. He is a monster 6'7" and bats left handed; perfect for our short right field in Napa. We gave up a 22 yo first base prospect and a 20 yr old, former 2nd round draft pick, OF who wasnt' going to see much playing time in our system. Like Blanco I knew that there was no way he was going to put up those numbers in the PCB, but I thought he was best option we had to try and find some offense.

4. SP Balduino Bicalho
; 27; 6yr/$840,000 from Cedar Rapids of the PLB.

Bicalho was not the top FA pitcher on the market, but he was one of the best value picks available. Originally an international signing from Venezuela he was in the Stockton (PCB) organization for 6 years before getting released. He had been the #98, #83, and #87 PCB prospect from '78 to '80 and finally made his big league debut in 1980, getting in late for 3.1 IP of mopup duty and then getting released prior to opening day the next year. He would sign on with Cedar Rapids (PLB) 9 days later and become a regular until he blew his elbow out in '83. He would bounce back, but would not be the same and would always be dealing with injury issues. So what do I see with him? I see a 4-pitch pitcher with above average control, who throws upper 80s and keeps the ball down. Even if he's only 5'9" and injury prone as a value pick goes he was someone that would at least keep our 21yo prospect from having to make the jump too soon. I need someone who can eat innings in the back of the rotation.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote