View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #87
nol
Banned

Made a level 3 coach in FBCB with 100 in scouting and 20 in the other 3 attributes. After simming forward a couple years, I took the first job I was offered at Georgia Southern. To maximize my one advantage as a coach, I've kept a barebones 30k staff and exclusively gone after exclusively local players (current roster is 13 from GA and 2 from SC) so I can evaluate as many prospects as possible.

The on-court results hadn't been too special; I took over a team that had come off back-to-back 20-win seasons but had graduated all its good players. Won 15 and 12 games my first 2 seasons and 21 games in seasons 3 and 4. An injury rash in season 3 and and a bizarre late-season swoon the following year (lost 3 straight home games to bad teams to go from the 1 to the 4 seed for the conference tourney) kept me from leading Georgia Southern to its first NCAA berth.

So, season 5 is shaping up to be the usual "first recruiting class is now seniors" breakthrough (7 Georgia Southern players are among the top 20 pro prospects in the SoCon), but I'm definitely open to moving up. Ohio knocks me off my feet with an offer: the budget's 100k higher, prestige is a MAC-high 61 compared to my current 34, but I'm unsure of my ability to coach the mismatched roster up to the AD's expectations of winning the MAC. Plus, I figure that I'll have some more offers to look over once more dominoes fall.

My patience pays off big-time as some high-major offers come in round 2, including one so crazy I have to take it. Memphis is 92 prestige and has a $550k budget (along with Final Four expectations). Their now-former coach won 35 games and a title in his first season, 25 games (and a 2nd round exit) his second season, and 20 games (and a 2nd round NIT exit) his third season, and presumably skipped town in a lateral move to LSU before he could be fired. I haven't leveled up in the first four years, so we'll see how long my 69-62 all-time coach can last after making the 58 point prestige jump. Probably gonna have to start looking for some assistants that cost more than $30k.

I figure even if I flame out as quickly as possible, whichever job I'd get after being fired from Memphis would be more or less what I'd have if I stayed with Georgia Southern and got upset in the conference tournament this season.

Last edited by nol : 04-20-2015 at 02:37 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote