View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #144
Critch
lolzcat

Over the last month or so I've really caught the Rimworld bug while waiting for the latest Stellaris patch to arrive. Previously my settlements had fizzled out, ended in mass death, or been deleted when I thought of a new approach and wanted to restart but I've finally got myself a "successful", long-term settlement.

Planeton (Planet-on? Plane-ton? Dont know how it's pronounced, it's game-generated) is coming up to its 8th winter, it's heavily defended and it has more than a years’ worth of refrigerated meals stockpiled. All looks good and steady for the moment. Settler turnover has been pretty high, the three original settlers are now all dead (one sliced, one shot, one eaten by a bear) and the town is down to a population of 9 from a high of 15, but things seem as secure as they can be in Rimworld.

This is the story of Planeton told through the interlinked lives and deaths of 4 important inhabitants:

1. Pickles - Pickles was one of the original three who founded the settlement, and really the guy who made it successful. In the early years he was the only pawn capable of construction and the only one who could fire a gun. He built the settlement and defended it while the others cooked, farmed and cleaned. Unfortunately, he was ugly and had an annoying voice, so nobody ever liked him. He was beaten up a few times by camp-mates he'd annoyed too much, but he would always bounce back and carry on building and defending with no hard-feelings. His loaner status changed when his sister was rescued and joined the community, finally a trustee and a sidekick. Two days later Pickles mined through a wall he shouldn’t have and got sliced up by a mech-Scyther. I almost rage-quit when my favorite settler got diced, the risk of playing Ironman Mode.

His sister collected up the parts and got him back to the infirmary, but it was too late and he died of massive blood loss. Pickles was buried with full honors in Planeton's cemetery.

2. Noriko - Noriko was Pickles sister. A big girl, her pawn was double-wide, she'd been a town sheriff and, once she got over the loss of her brother, she wasn’t a shrinking violet. Toting a minigun and wearing marine armor, she was the Planeton's defender for years and the first name on any rescue/salvage team sent out into the wastelands. On one of those rescue missions she was part of a team sent out to rescue an injured refugee. It turned out the refugee wasn’t badly injured, but was being held captive by a single mechanoid. "Ha, this is going to be easy" thought Noriko, just as the mech jumped up and blew her head clean off with a single shot.

The mech was dispatched, the injured refugee treated and welcomed, and Noriko's headless body was loaded onto the pack animal and brought back to be buried with full honors beside her brother in Planeton's cemetery.

3. Svorda - The injured refugee was called Svorda. A Renaissance man, Svorda was an intellectual heavyweight, but a skilled tailor, craftsman and smelter too. He split his time between the research lab and the craft rooms, he made toasty clothing to keep the settlers warm and built the flat screen TV to keep them entertained. Great guy. Unfortunately, not long after this his spine was shattered defending the camp from heavily armed mechanoid grub-things, and he was confined to a hospital bed for about a year, then another year in a cryptosleep chamber before the town got him back on his feet with a home-made bionic spine.

He was back on the front-line defending the town from the great Man-eating Rabbit pack attack of 5507, it was quickly dispatched but unfortunately an idiotic new settler was careless with his frag grenades and blew Svorda apart.

The parts of Svorda were scraped up, put in a bucket, and buried with full honors in Planeton's rapidly expanding cemetery.

4. Bernie - Bernie was the careless settler who blew up Svorda by throwing a grenade into the town's defenses. He also killed three other Planeton folk who were bravely defending the town from killer rabbits.

To pay for his crimes, Bernie was ordered to go outside the towns walls and sit on an exploding frag grenade. There was no full honors burial for him, what was left was scooped up and stuck in the incinerator.

F you, Bernie.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote