View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #398
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Of course all these players are all rated on a single season, which removes the need for consistent greatness. There are a bunch of players who have had at least 1 great year, and that year can be as good as an all-time player's output. To get a better since of how great some of the all-timers are you'd need to take a composite of a peak set of years - say 7. Then you'd start to see some major gaps between good players and the historic ones.

Going to be real interested to see how this plays out...

I'd already considered that though... Bench had the second highest WAR season ever for a catcher, Cy Young has multiple years inside the top 30 all time, all of my top 7 or 8 picks were inside the top 3 or 5 WAR single season by position (except Trout, who was a total homer pick). The single season aspect was literally how I was ranking my guys.

Once I saw how little EF's list were valuing those players, I just started picking modern era guys with inflated power numbers and that seems to work out much better. At least in terms of how the game values them... I guess we'll see what happens when the games start to get played, but I fear it's such a small sample size we really won't be able to figure too much out.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote