View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #173
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Brett

50 Breast - Seeded 12th - 39.82 - Brett looked good in this race, he really pushed (pulled) through and he managed to tie his personal best time 39.82. This was good because the last time he raced his time was slower by a good bit. This helped get his confidence up for the meet.

100 Back - 1:29.77 - still progressing nicely. Swam another personal best time of 1:28.57, and after watching his video last night he said, man I need to move my arms faster (exactly what I've been saying for weeks), hopefully because he saw it himself it will sink in and he'll actually do it. If so, I could see 3 seconds falling off of this time the next time he swims it.

50 Free - 34.38 - This event was a turning point for Brett. He swam poorly in this one, coming in 1.3 seconds slower (35.68)than his seed time. He was expecting a big improvement and when he didn't swim well he was ready to quit for the day. He was very upset and he didn't want to do his 100 IM, which was almost immediately after his 50 free...

100 IM - 1:29.71 - He complained, begged, whined and argued about swimming this one, all because he was so disappointed in his time and he's comparing his times to the other 12 years olds and he feels he pales in comparison...but we convencied him to tell his coach he didn't want to swim this and his coach told him, he didn't care, he was going to swim it - so he got in line. He didn't do well, again coming in just under 1 second slower (1:30.66), but at least he swam it.

200 IM - NT - my statement in the initial write up that he had a 200 IM time may not have been accurate. I know he swam it long course, but maybe he didn't swim it short course because my quick search on USA swimming didn't turn anything up. Regardless, his improved strokes looked real good in this one and he was pretty strong throughout the race. He opened with a 43.15 fly, not an awesome time, but at this point it was the 2nd fastest 50 fly he had ever swum, and he still had 150 more yards to race...His back was a respectible 46.31...he was very disappointed in his breast leg which was a 50.02 (I think because he used the stroke to catch his breath for the finish), and he finished the free in a 41.23. All in all he swam a 3:00.71 time and a personal best. It probably doesn't sound that great, but at the time it was good enough to be Bear's 200 IM time from a month ago by 6 full seconds. That is a huge accomplishment for Brett and it illustrates how much better his "other" strokes are getting.

50 Back - 41.48 - slightly slower time of 41.53 - I believe because he wasn't fully recovered from the 200 IM

100 Breast - 1:29.77 - really tried to sprint this for the full 100 and he improved his best time by 1.17 seconds posting a 1:28.60. Did better on pullouts, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

50 Fly - 43.92 - Brett's goal on his back and fly is to be sub 40 right now, and based on his time in the 200 IM, I felt he might challenge it. When this race started he was scooting along doing pretty well. He tried not to breath to much so he could stay high in the water. At the turn it looked like he might be able to do it. However, in the last 3rd of the pool he had to breath several times and it slowed him down. He touched the wall and the final time was...40.01. A personal best and a huge improvement. Plus a real motivator for next time.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote