View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #367
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
and it's not unreasonable to ask for growing respect on the menu.

And when i call places in advance to ask about the menu, I usually let them know if I won't be coming there due to my misgivings (

I dont mean this as a personal attack, but the two snippets I quoted above are part of the reason many vegans get a bad reputation, imho.

In the first you ask for "respect" on the menu. I cant even wrap my head around that concept. Its a business. They offer what they want. Either you choose to patronize them or not, they owe you nothing and you owe them nothing. Respect doesn't come into the equation. Let's say I don't eat sushi. (I do) Should I say it isnt unreasonable to demand respect and have beef offered at "Just Sushi" restaurants? Of course not. Again not trying to pick on you, but that is a horrific word choice at best. A menu doesn't show respect. It has no emotion. It simply lists the offerings of the proprietor.

On the second point. You think its a small scale agitation to effect change. I think its useless harassment of the lowest common denominator at a restaurant. Look the person who answers the phone or takes you order has less than a .0000001% chance of ever affecting the menu offerings of any restaurant. (With the lone exception of a small 1 off cafe type place where the phone is answered, the orders taken and the food made by the owner) If you want any chance of agitating and causing change, you would be much better served by asking the hostess for the store manager or better yet the district manager's email address and writing a brief email expressing your desire for an extended menu, and possibly highlighting how many were in your party and how much revenue they forfeited by not having an offering that met your dietary needs. Instead you chose to add some small level of stress to a person making $2.12/hr (plus tips) that they promptly ignored and went back to tending their tables.

To me the second statement kind of cements your status as a douche nozzle to me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote