View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The next "super bad thing" could be happening, but so what? Its not like I can do anything about it. Being informed and aware of the risk and of what's going on is one thing. Freaking the fuck out about it is wholly another. And in this type of industry, seeing people freak out on a daily basis is bad for the game. As far as I'm concerned, any time your average joe wants to have some beer and play some poker one night googles online poker and finds a 2+2 thread about the sky falling and decides against depositing, those fuckwads have cost everyone money.

I'll readily grant that I don't know the finer points of how regular players do thing, so for the moment at least let's just treat this as an opportunity for me to learn. My online poker playing never cracked $100 worth of deposits that I nursed for longer than my skill set would have made likely (I like to think so anyway) and just treated that the same as I treat money spent in Vegas, as an entertainment charge. But I gather that isn't the case for a lot of players.

So how does that work exactly? I mean, when you hit a big night does that money get withdrawn from the site & put back into your personal bank account or do people leave significant amounts of cash on deposit with Stars or whomever? By significant, let's say at least $1,000, just to pick a figure although everybody's version of significant will be different.

I gather the latter is the case, that money stays on account pretty regularly for regular players that are beyond my own $0.10 fish level. Is there any sort of reliable estimate of just how much U.S. cash in sitting at risk of being seized/frozen/whatever?