View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #2764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Except haven't the profits from football and, to a lesser extent, basketball (and a handful of other programs) been used to prop up all other sports, which are money losers?

SI

Which brings an interesting possible scenario to mind

It requires some assumptions buuuuut, work with me here

1) football superleague(s) form
2) the rest of college sports -- including non superleague football -- return to a fairly recognizable form
3a) Would the athletic departments _outside_ the superleague end up in better shape financially than the ones that have basically lost football being under their roof? They have normalized expenses presumably but still have SOME football revenue.
3b) Or do the athletic departments _inside_ the superleague have an enormous (insurmountable) advantage over everyone that doesn't have football megadollars (in a scenario where some of that revenue is "donated" back to the parent school)

3a or 3b probably come down to a question of "what is the eventual relationship between schools and the superleague football teams that ostensibily represent them" One possible answer I can see is that the superleague teams pay a "licensing fee" back to the school for the right to use their imaging and branding etc .... and that might very quickly turn the reformed conferences into the same haves/have nots situation that already exists