View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #712
Radii
Head Coach

Recruiting Preview

So i'm graduating two guys. Starting Center Locklier, and a reserve PF Marshall Osimani who only sees the court by accident.

Even after those two guys leave I'll have four big men on the roster.. though Delic and Slater are not really good.

I also have one junior on the roster, my JC transfer Moye.

I haven't looked at all at the recruiting board yet,but I'm thinking I probably want to shoot for one big man and then just go best available with my other scholarship. I have two PG's that I will likely be happy with for 4 years, so SG/SF is probably where that 2nd scholarship is more likely to end up.

I end up with 6 targets initially that seem to be worthy of serious attention.

Only one 5* in the bunch, a 6'9" PF out of Texas named Francis Sparrow. #24 Overall/HS All-American(the one recruiting goal I still have left to accomplish). We're right in the mix with some midwest schools for him.

Another big man, a 7 footer in the top 100, Florentino McCants out of Hosuton, #94 OVR, #4 Center(go go recruit distribution).

We're also looking at 3 SG/SF types that have 80%+ interest in us right away, most notably the #83 overall recruit/#9 SF, Jamon Hodge out of Atlanta. He loves Florida State, 88% for us. He likes Tennessee and Kentucky too but if we go after him right away we're likely to land him.

And the only reason not to go hard after hodge right away would be to land a higher rated recruit... #43 OVR/#15 SG, Stevin Samuels out of Minneapolis also has us rated real high, 83%, in the mix with 4 other power conference schools.

I spend the first week primarily scouting.

... hmmm what did I do? cut someone? Maybe my roster was full with a couple walkons I'd kept... wel, I don't know what I did but I have 3 scholarships, not 2. Which is good b/c i was about to throw a curveball here with one of my scholarships, mentioned below:

Initial Offers

5* PG Francis Sparrow - 6'9" 222 lbs - Brownsville, TX - #24 OVR/#2 PF

Looks like a defensive stud, moderate offensive abilities, only an average rebounder which worries me a bit. If he wasn't rated so highly I honestly dunnio if I'd go for him. Seems a bit of a long shot early though, but I'll work on him.

4* C Florentino McCants - 7'0" 215 lbs - Houston, TX - #94 OVR/#4 C

Looks like he might have some strong skills in addition to his size. Rebounding and Post numbers all B-. He's a damn stick. 215 lbs at 7 feet tall? Big Program and Coaching are #1/#2, so hopefully staying near home doesn't trump us out of a shot at him. Texas Tech and Texas are high on his list but we've got him at 90%.

4* SG Prosper Day - 6'3" 204 LBS - Conway, AR - #91 OVR/#31 SG

I didn't mention Day at all, like I said, a bit of a curveball. A- close. B 3 point shooting. I'd really, really like a sharpshooter on the roster. I don't have anything close to that right now. Day doesn't look deficient on defense or anything, so he gets my last scholarship.

I am working on the other two guys I'd mentioned above... a top 100 SF and a top 50 SG. I dont' expect to get both big men, I'm hoping to get one of them, the SG, Day, and then will drop off to another target.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote