View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #714
Radii
Head Coach

November 21, 2019 – Deoderant Classic

Florida State (1-0) vs Fairfield (0-1)

I'm not going to try to scout Fairfield as closely as I normally would as I'm a bit overwhelmed just with my own guys for now. They have an 80 rated SG, Sylverster McCaleb, an 82 rated SF, Bridgewater, and two decent big men. They are led by a 69 rated freshman PG though. SG McCaleb is a highly rated 3 point shooter, we'll stick to him harder than the others.

Fairfield is rated 82 OVR (81 off/82 def/83 sht/90 reb/83 coach). We are 85 OVR (84 off/84 def/87 sht/87 reb/84 coach).

I expect rebounding to be a season long problem. Our best defensive rebounder has an 82 rating. This is a huge problem. Also a problem... team unity. Fairfield 43, Florida State 24.

Huh-huh. Fairfield University abbreviates to FU (yea not in game I'm sure, so sue me and my 13 year old sense of humor).
Half
Time
FSU
FU
Notes
14:50
6 for Moye(SG), 2 for Sneed(PF). That's despite Sneed taking 5 shots and Moye 2. Also something I hadn't mentioned in my roster writeup. Moye is a 73 rated FT shooter. I hate bad free throw shooting from my guards. Bleh! 1-2 so far.
13:50
Timeout Fairfield.
12:45
Backups are in. Moye with 10, Sneed 4. I didn't have much success trying to get Ozier involved.
11:25
Heh... Alloway, he's a PG but I'm playing him at SG with the backups for now, 77 rated 3 point shooter. He has the slowest release I've ever seen. Its a set shot, no elevation, but he like has to set both his feet, test the wind direction, find just the right handle on the ball, then he goes up to shoot.
10:30
Backup PF Sanders hits his first shot, timeout Fairfield.
7:20
I get a timeout to get the starters back in. Couple buckets inside and an Alloway 3 get us out to a 3 point lead.
5:45
Locklier with 3 fouls, Sanders gets to play center for awhile.
1:10
They pull ahead and we struggle to score, but our mediocre rebounding really kills us here as we allow a 5 point possession thanks to two separate trips to the free throw line and 3 offensive boards.

HALF
When Moye went cold, we struggled like crazy. We shoot 33% on the half. They shoot around 45%.

They've got two 80 rated players, Bridgewater scores 13, McCalebb scores 9.

We get 13 from Moye but he cools off later in the half, missing his last 3 shots after starting 4-6. Sneed is 1-5 inside, they double him real fast. Ozier is 0-2 and I'm having a hard time getting him anything really, he isn't a 3 point shooter and isn't getting by his man easily.

Fairfield also plays a 2-3 zone which I struggle with in general but even more with this team right now.
19:20
McCalebb picked up his 2nd foul with about 40 seconds left in the first half, and picks up his 3rd about 40 seconds into this half.
17:05
Its going to be a fun season. Timeout FSU.
14:00
We get a little going here, and we've only drawn 3 fouls this half, but we got the 3rd foul on McCalebb and the 2nd and 3rd on Bridgewater. So we've got a pretty big edge there.
11:30
I get a timout to get the backups in, starters are gassed. Sneed scored our last 4 and has hit 3 of 4 this half, an improvement for sure. Moye misses a couple open 3's, and Ozier still struggles to get anything resembling a good shot. Locklier is in w/ the backups.
9:50
Well there's a run! Mostly luck. Barrett... rated 65 from 3, drains a 3 as time expires on the shot clock. Then we get steals on 3 straight possessions, twice going hard to the rim in traffic, clearly should have pulled it out. The last time Barrett goes up and has an edge on his man, drawing a foul and making his shot. He hits the FT, 6-0 run though it was a bit ugly. Timeout Fairfield.
7:10
Heh, they get their stars back in and immediately go back up 10. I call a timeout and rush my starters back in.
6:15
Ozier is on the board! We get a steal and he gets the ball in transition and hits a nice little running 1 handed shot in the lane.
4:15
Sneed and Locklier miss inside, allowing them to go up 10. Ozier draws a foul in transition to get it back to 8.
1:40
We cut it to 5 with a 3 by Moye, they get a long 3 by McCalebb to make it 8 again.
0:42
We get the lead down to 6 and try fouling...

They hit their free throws and we do something horrible on offense that wasn't getting Moye the ball immediately. There's no real way to describe it but it ended in a poor crosscourt pass and a turnover. That basically did it

Fairfield 74
Florida State 65

Moye ended up with a huge game kinda by default. Though I think I have his 3 point stroke a bit off, I'll need to practice it. Fairfield gets 22 from Bridgewater, 17 from McCalebb and their other starters get into double digits as well.

Forte: 0 points - he can't shoot the 3 and I didn't find a lot of good spots to try to drive.
Moye: 29 points (9-17, 4-10 from 3, 7-8 FT)
Ozier: 4 points/6 boards (1-5)
Sneed: 12 points/6 boards (5-11)
Locklier: 0 poitns/4 boards

Barrett: 8 points
Alloway: 5 points
Sanders: 5 points/7 boards

We only shot 40.7% on the game, I usually shoot in the 48% range for a season with my good teams, so that'll have to improve. They outrebounded us but only 34-29, and the offensive boards ended up beign pretty much even.

Some interesting things that I'll need to adjust to. Sneed is my first left handed big man. Turnarounds that were really smooth looking with Pugh last year are awkward turning the wrong way left handed awful looking with Sneed. I actually have no idea if that impacts the success of the shot.

Ozier doesn't have an explosive driving move, nor does he have a 3 point shot. That makes it hard for me to get him a lot of baskets. He has a good, but not great, mid range jumper, and I really dont like taking midrange jumpers.

Except for Barrett off the bench, I don't have any excellent defenders. Lots of guys with an on ball defense rating in the 78-82 range. That's going to really hurt me against better players. Just like the fact that I've got a bunch of guys with rebound ratings in the 80 range but no outstanding rebounders is going to hurt.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote