View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
So, just curious, addressing the elephant in the room, is this like Jackson, where after death, the allegations and details of transgressions go away? Or is it where the measure of the person's accomplishments and the good that they put into the world are able to overcome it?

I really have no feelings either way. I was never a big Kobe fan, but I could certainly appreciate his accomplishments on the court and the skill that he possessed as a generational player.

I was not a big Kobe fan either. Magic will always be my favorite Laker ever but that is a byproduct of my age and when my love for basketball began. For me, his rape trial is not the elephant in the room. I think the story of his rape trial and the charges being dropped are what they are. It happened and the details are there for all to see. I believe he knew he did something wrong but I also accept that he was not convicted of the charge. Why? Read Kobe's apology. The emphasis is mine

Quote:
"First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman
involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this
year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only
imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to
her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and
supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

"I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives
of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has
agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil
case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was
consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this
incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery,
listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now
understand how she feels that she did not consent to this
encounter.

"I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of
this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil
case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be
decided by and between the parties directly involved in the
incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on
the citizens of the state of Colorado."

It is not a perfect apology but it is enough for me to believe that he knew that he had done wrong. That being said, I am also not interested re-litigating the case every time his name is brought up either. If I believe someone is bringing up the case in an effort to re-litigate it, I would probably push back against it as well. I think there was some of that in the immediate aftermath of his death.

I do think he had done things to prove that he was a different person than he was in 2003. Is it enough for everyone else? I don't know but it is enough for me. Can a documentary come out next year that changes my opinion of him? Absolutely if the evidence is credible to me. But as of today, I think his work after his trial is the difference between how I feel about Kobe and Michael Jackson. Kobe has come closer to admitting his wrong and learning from it IMO. For me, when I think of Kobe Bryant, that case is not the first paragraph of his story if I am documenting it. For Michael Jackson, his allegations are.

P.S. I think I went back fifteen times to change wording from present tense to past tense. I guess it still has not sunk in yet.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote