View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #43
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I still can't. I don't know why his death affected me so badly, but it did. I suffered severe depression through most of my youth. That might have something to do with it. I love watching him explore the world, but I just can't now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The same, it's too hard to watch.

I think part is yes due to the tragedy (I mean if you read some of his books, he doesn't gloss over his instability at times.) of leaving a young child behind, being found by one of his good friends (Eric Ripert from what I've read and seen is an impossibly decent human being), as just the loss of his life for something really beyond his control.

He seemed to be very much a humanist at the end, curtailing what I saw and read as a pretty snarky overconfident cook into someone who advocated for the less fortunate, globalist and pro-feminist.

I think his mantra was we could all sit down and eat and talk and not be so divided (see his Ted Nugent episode, or his West Virginia one).

And I think that theme of enjoying life and food and friends and family, and perhaps sitting down with a stranger who looks so different and yet you could bond or daresay just be decent to each other kind of curdled due to his demise.

I'll never forget his tagline "Be a traveler, not a tourist"
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote