DC - Mwemere Mutesa - 45 apps 4g 7.41 avg
DR - Emerson - 34 apps 0g 7.17 avg
ML - Mads Pedersen - 35 apps 6g 7.27 avg
MC - Neil Cairney - 44 apps 5g 7.22 avg
MC - Benedikt Raab - 46 apps 4g 7.49 avg
MR - Andoni - 43 apps 7g 7.15 avg
ST - Paul Moses - 34 apps 27g 7.55 avg
ST - Fernando Estrada - 44 apps 32g 7.48 avg

Other notables: GK Chris Davies 18 apps 0g 6.97; DC Herman Quattara 23 apps 2g 7.20; DC Adrian Torres 12 apps 1g 7.28; DR Rodolfo Lopez 32 apps 0g 7.16; MC Michel Benard 21 apps 0g 7.19; ST Bakary Kone 14 apps 5g 7.04; ST Andy Broomes 39 apps 20g 7.25

Dover Fans Player of the Year: Claudio Contreras

The stats shown above take into account all competitions with our senior team and include everyone who played at least one game for the big club this past season.

Goalkeeping

-- 22 year old Fabinho took over as our main keeper and was very strong, putting up 19 clean sheets in 38 games. English international Chris Davies perhaps outperformed him, allowing only 10 goals in 18 contests and nabbing 10 clean sheets of his own but for some reason, he simply just doesn’t get great game ratings. After 13 years at Dover, this year was the swan song for Ingo Wilke. He only played in seven games overall and at age 35 and with an expiring contract, his days at Dover are likely over.

Defence

-- Claudio Contreras had another big year, getting named as our supporter’s top player for the year despite a modest four goal output from centre half. He teamed capably with Mwemere Mutesa for most of the season and both were excellent. At 26 and 25 years old respectively, they both are just entering their primes. We got capable backup play from Herman Quattara, Renato Silverio and Adrian Torres. Quattara is the main backup and got into 23 games while Silverio and Torres played 16 and 14 games respectively. Thankfully, Contreras and Mutesa were healthy the entire season and that’s why our backups didn’t play a great amount. Silverio has been a slight disappointment with us and is looking for more playing time so he may be a casualty in the offseason. Quattara and Torres are both still very young and can grow with our club. As usual, the middle of our defence continues to be a huge strength at this club.

-- At left fullback, long-time White Renato Gaucho held off young Joao (stats not shown here) and ultimately, we sent Joao packing to Real Madrid in January. We’ve gotten capable backup play from unheralded Gabriel Scolaro on the left side. On the right, it was obviously a changing of the guard this year after selling long-time captain Salim Loucif to Manchester City. Emerson and Rodolfo Lopez essentially split most of the time on that right side, with the younger Emerson playing one more game. Lopez provides much more offence and also more grit but is four years older. The 21 year old Eneko Remirez actually outplayed both his peers but I sent him out on loan in January for more seasoning. He may be ready to step into a bigger role next season. We also got 18 year old prospect Gary Richards into his first game as a substitute. Our fullbacks aren’t stars but they are all capable contributors to the side.

Midfield

-- 27 year old Benedikt Raab continues to be the straw that stirs our drink, despite seeing a big drop in statistical production. He went from 12 goals down to only 4 this year and from 27 assists down to 21 but he’s still among the best central midfielders in the game. 29 year old Neil Cairney also saw some decline in his stats, as expected, but still is a key contributor. Those two both were blessed with great health once again and as such, we didn’t rely on 19 year old midfielder Michel Benard as much this year, only one season after he burst onto the scene with 21 points in only 17 starts. This year, his production dropped substantially, as he didn’t score a single goal and added only 6 assists in 23 appearances. Still, he’s an excellent defensive midfielder and the Wonderkid will assuredly bounce back next year. Seyi Omolade, a 23 year old Nigerian midfielder was above average as well and long-time White Emmerson Harvey was our fifth choice and scored a couple of goals in only 7 starts. We have plenty of young talent also out on loan and central midfield continues to perennially be a strength here at Dover.

-- After two years of mediocre production at wide midfield, we blew things up in the offseason, moving out longtime wingers Gianluca Bolis and Sergio De la Vega and bringing in young Andoni and Leandro Cepeda. Andoni was a revelation, scoring 7 goals and adding 14 assists in his 39 starts while Cepeda also contributed 4 goals in his 20 starts. Ivan Cerezo (stats not shown) was our third choice at MR for the first half of the year but we moved him out during the January transfer window. On the left side, it was more of the same from Mads Pedersen, who scored 6 goals and added 10 assists in his 21 starts, excellent production. He’s got incredible talent but despite the solid numbers, leaves us wanting more at times due to his inconsistent efforts. Former Wonderkid Jonathan Langlet built upon a decent rookie season, scoring 4 goals and adding 5 assists in his 25 starts. We also got good performances from third stringer Dario Galeano, a veteran addition to the squad. A couple of U18 players also saw limited action in Mark Taylor and 17 year old Matthew Francis. It was a much better year from our wide midfielders overall, with 22 goals being scored after getting only 13 from the position in each of the last two seasons.

Striker

-- Despite the July sale of longtime stalwart Chiquinho, we once again got great production from our strikers, led by Chiquinho’s replacement, 22 year old Fernando Estrada, who scored an excellent 32 goals in his 42 starts, a sensational return. Our most dangerous threat continues to be speedy Paul Moses, who once again battled some injuries but still produced 27 goals in his 31 starts. I say it every year but we are incredibly lucky to have the best backup striker in the game, the always unheralded Andy Broomes. He hit 20 goals despite starting only 24 games (43 total appearances) and has never complained about his role. Our fourth choice was newcomer Doctor Ndulula and he was just okay - 8 goals in 16 starts (22 total appearances) showed he had a bit of trouble adapting to the English game. Fifth choice striker, 22 year old Wonderkid Bakary Kone once again saw limited playing time, with 7 starts and 15 total appearances, where he scored 5 goals. He’ll likely get a bigger role next year. Finally, we had young Luis Monzon here on loan and while he came on as a substitute in 6 games, he was mostly utilized on our reserves squad. 92 goals from our strikers this season - pretty impressive I’d say!

LOAN PLAYERS

-- We loaned out a number of our key prospects this season. 19 year old DC Marc Berguis spent the year with Newcastle and was one of their main starters at the position, playing 41 games (40 starts) while scoring two goals. He’s got 3.5 star potential and could make our squad next season. Yet another 3.5 star potential DC is Emmanuel Gonzalez - he’s a couple years older and spent the year with Udinese in Italy. He played in a whopping 48 games, scoring once (on a penalty!) while adding three assists. He’s a supremely talented prospect and like Berguis, could definitely force his way into a supporting role with our first team as soon as next year. Yet another DC on loan was Andrew Hunter, who played 15 games (13 starts) with Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League, where he notched one assist. He’s a potential candidate for sale, as he doesn’t have the requisite talent to crack our roster. DR Eneko Remirez was sent to Almeria in January and scored a goal while adding 3 assists in only 17 appearances. He’s got a good shot at battling for a regular role with our senior team next season. Another right fullback also was sent on loan in 18 year old Gary Richards - he was a main starter for the Championship side, scoring a goal and adding two assists in 36 starts. He has some intriguing talent but likely needs more seasoning before being an option here at Dover. 18 year old midfielder Aythami was sent to Stuttgart, a German powerhouse and acquitted himself nicely, scoring a goal and adding four assists in 17 appearances (9 starts). He’s a defensively minded midfielder and has 3.5 star potential. One to watch for the future for sure. A guy who could make an impact next year is Wonderkid Borja, who spent the season on loan with Aston Villa and won numerous awards in the Premier League as a rookie, scoring five goals and adding ten assists in 39 starts. He’s a sensational offensive prospect and could muscle his way into my plans next season. Striker Marcus Sowter spent the whole year on loan at Leeds in the npower Championship and was a STAR, scoring 30 goals and adding 6 assists in 44 starts. He’s only 21 years old and English born so there’s huge value in that but we have so much talent at striker, I’m not sure if he’s going to ever get a great chance here. Another young striker, Josh Fairclough also went on loan to Blackpool and didn’t feature much, getting only 14 appearances (7 starts), scoring 3 goals and adding an assist. He’s got blazing speed, like Sowter but at only 19 years of age has some more room to grow perhaps.

U18 PLAYERS

-- Our U18s continued to throttle the competition, once again winning the U18 cup (7th year in a row) and their league (12th year in a row!). We have numerous prospects down there, including GK Liam Davies, DC Matt Boyd, DC Omar Valle, DR Andrea Patti, ML Matthew Francis, MC Gareth Bamford, ST Antonio Scarpellini, ST Fabrio Errigo and ST Adel Laouar. All have excellent potential.

Year-End Financials

We edged our team record in turnover with ~£169 million but expenses were down considerably from the year before (when we started building our new stadium). Wage costs continue to climb but interestingly enough, our attendance dropped for the first time in about a decade.

Closing Thoughts

It was another solid year for our squad, with a fourth straight Premier League title and our third ever Champions League crown. We’ve continued to transition to a younger core while maintaining a high standard in our performances.

We are one year away from playing in a brand new stadium and that is what continues to drive me in this dynasty. I’m going to be signing my last contract with the club and will soon head into retirement but NOT until I get into that new stadium that is being named after me! I really am interested in seeing how we do with those new facilities and yearn to manage at least one season in our new digs so that means I have at least two more years before I hang up my suit and coast into retirement.

Thanks for sticking with me!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote