View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #268
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Isn't this basically what the ACA was? I don't have a problem with a government run "safety net" insurance group for lower income or people without coverage (basically expand medicare). I just want to make sure it doesn't cause employers to stop covering their employees. Prescription drug cost is a big issue, but you don't need a government plan to cap prices (if that's the solution). The government currently does this for industries like energy that have private companies involved. Congress could vote to cap drug prices (or have them match Europe prices) tomorrow without a single payer. They just wouldn't do that because of the drug companies put so much money into their candidacy.

No, it wasn't. The ADA had the significant problem that the insurance companies had all the power. That is why there is run-away costs and very limited coverage options. If the private companies had to actually compete against a true public option, things would have to change. On the prescription side, allowing medicare to to negotiate prices would drive prices down without having to have artificial caps. I think both of those hand in hand will do more than again trying to negotiate with the insurance companies that only had sabotaging the ADA in mind from the very beginning.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.