View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #2213
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I haven't read them, but I can't imagine The Last Kingdom would work much better in book form than on screen. Definitely a fun watch.

I think it works a lot better, actually The TV show is good as it is, but certain things it just can't convincingly portray as far as the 'dynamic' of the books is concerned. The more narrow first-person viewpoint and the fact it covers a whole lifetime is sth the TV series show just can't really provide (the extremely corny voice-overs aside ) and maybe smartly doesnt try to. Uthred in S1 is basically the same age and character as in S3 in the show, which likely will stay the same going forward. In the books, you really get a sense of time and change that you do not in the show. Same is true for other key characters like Edward or Aethelflaed.

The show is obviously good and entertaining, just saying the Books are well worth getting into regardless of before or after the show. (Theres enough added events and changes to make it fresh to read even after seeing the show)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote