View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #1476
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

University of Montevallo, Emmanuel College vs Berry College @ Cage Center - 10/22

Finally, the first meet of the season. Berry will be squaring off in a double dual meet against University of Montevallo and Emmanuel College. Both of these schools are D2, which will make it a tough match up for the Vikings.

Montevallo - This a relatively new team with their first season being 2019. However, they have used their ability to provide athletic scholarships well, and have fleshed out a relatively large and competitive team in a short time. I'm unsure how many swimmer are currently active on the team, but it appears that only 12 have competed so far this season, so they may be under their recent roster size.

Emmanuel - In the last few years the Lions have gone from an afterthought team, to one that ranks in the top 20 in all of D2. Not terribly surprising when you consider all the talent in the state of Georgia. In fact, this team is a perfect example of why I've been frustrated by Berry's lack of efforts on the recruiting front. If Emmanuel, a tiny school with a very unimpressive campus, in the middle of nowhere can pull the talent they've been pulling, Berry should be able to do the same. Anyway, the Lions have 20 swimmers that have competed this year, and while they have some roster fillers on the backend, they also have a several very strong swimmers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear - from his schedule of events in meet 1, it doesn't appear that he's going to start off avoiding distance. He's scheduled to swim the 200 Free, 500 Free, 200 IM, and he's in the 400 Free relay.

200 Free - early in the season last year Bear was getting just under 1:50, so if he's on or around those times he's in pretty good form for an early, in season swim. In this event Emmanuel has had 7 swimmers compete ranging from 1:46 to 2:01, while Montevollo has had 4 compete with times of 1:46, 1:51, 1:52, and 1:53. So Bear could have some good racing in this one, but likely not to win the event.

500 Free - this one is a bit harder to get a read on early in the season. Last year, in the intra-squad, Bear swam a 5:27 in this event. Then a couple of weeks later it was a 5:07. He's easily capable of going under a 5, even early in the season, but it will depend on a few items, the biggest (minus the way the shoulder feels) is likely the order of events. If the 500 is first, and he can get a good warm up in, then he could do well. If he swims the 200 free or the 200 IM first, then he'll likely be gassed enough that I wouldn't expect much on the time. Too early in the season to have the stamina to race a 500 after a long sprint race. Montevollo's 500 times are right in line with Bear's - the top guy has gone a 4:58, with the 3 remaining swimmers in the event logging around 5:15s. Emmanuel has 5 that have competed in the event so far this season and they are falling between a 4:48 and a 5:32.

200 IM - This one isn't one that Bear swims frequently. Bear has managed to break 2 minutes a couple of times, but last year he only swam it 1 time and he posted a 2:11. Given he rarely practices backstroke and almost never practices breast, I expect the 2:11 is probably going to be closer to his time. That's going to make the race a tough one for him because Montevallo hasn't done this event this season, but they do have 2 returning swimmers who did it last year and they are 1:57 and 1:58, and Emmanuel has a 1:54 guy from this season.

Free Relay - Bear's personal best in the 100 Free is a 49.29. I'm sure he wants to get to low 48s in the relay, maybe even 47s, but I don't expect him to do it this time around. This will likely be the very last event, and after swimming 3 races of 200 or more yards, I think if he can get under 50.5 he'll be doing well.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-28-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote