View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #358
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's real good. You both are real knowledgeable.

The sexism stuff is interesting. I do disagree on some of it though. I don't think the LPGA stuff is good. It feels like a gimmick to gather a headline and pretend that they care about the female audience. The question is are females going to buy the game? And will they use the LPGA players? I still say no to both.

The one constant I see on this topic is male developers trying to shoehorn female characters into games that are predominately bought by men. Maybe the type of game is just different for the two audiences. Maybe the female audience is not looking for a FPS. In a weird way I find it a bit patronizing to women when games made by males for males throw a bone toward the female audience.

Getting more female developers is the answer. And having them build games in their perspective for other females is what'll help. And I don't think it's as tough as people say for a female to get in. Especially with how big indie publishing has gotten. I feel like there are a lot of feminists on the issue who want all the males to make games in their perspective instead of having females make them themselves.

Finally, I also hate how we have to make fictional characters politically correct. They are fictional characters. Duke Nukem is a character, not a real person. Just as when I watch TV I don't need Don Draper to fight misogyny. Interesting topic though.

I'm not asking for that, but I do think we need to move beyond the abject objectification of women in all games. When you have an otherwise very interesting game being turned down because the lead character is a woman, that's a sign that there's an issue.

I think a lot of it is because online talk is so anonymous. There's no way to really call out bad behavior online. If you come across someone who's every other word is "bitch, pussy, faggot" or anything else sexist/racist/idiotic.. you can ignore him and report him, but that doesn't really have any consequence, does it? They'll go on and still drop the N-word and other such monstrosities (hell, look at Senator Franks's son!). Just to someone else.

It fixes the problem for you, but doesn't fix the problem at all.