View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #376
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I haven't read the full coverage of Xbox One's 180, but if in fact the rundown above is accurate, it seems like they are making changes unrelated to the complaints everyone has.

Consumers were complaining about the always-on connection and daily check-ins. Those are unrelated to having a Steam-like service for licensing games and prohibiting using a digital license for retail games.

Yes, in order for a used-game service to exist with a digital Steam-like service, you would have to have a one-time Internet connection to license a game. You wouldn't be able to install a used game unless your Xbox can verify that license isn't already in use. Microsoft was already willing to live without consumers who don't have an Internet connection. So can't they still require an Internet connection, just not one that's always on?

Were consumers complaining about having to do that, or were they complaining that they would have to be connected to the Internet 100% of the time to play their games? I'm not sure they were truly listening to complaints.

A lot of the other rollbacks also sounds like excuses. I really can't see Microsoft allowing me to have a game and have 10 other people share the same copy. I'm guessing that was going to be a limited developer option, and the only games that would have it were community-based games where there would be no value in sharing the game if none of your friends sharing the copy could play at the same time.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 06-20-2013 at 07:46 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote