View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dec 10, 2011 (evening)
Blyth (4th BSBN) vs Lincoln City (10th in BSBP) - FA Trophy 1st Round

This isn't going to be easy. The Imps are more talented than we are but we've responded to that situation surprisingly well at times this season. We'll go with a very similar lineup to the stunning win over Droylsden, except we'll give Hartley & Hooks playing time to try to keep them quiet. I've got a buck that says we'll regret both decisions before halftime. In case you're wondering, they're a 1:3 favorite, we're a 7:1 underdog.

GK - Hartley
D: Kendrick - Jones - Purvis - D'Laryea
MF:Matondo - Groves - Hooks - Vipond
F: Armstrong - Mole
(Available subs are Sawyer, Slaughter, Mellish, White, and Knight)

9:43 - Corner kick by Vipond is headed clear easily but D'Laryea captures it ... he comes forward unexpectedly, dribbles across field to the left, looks & finds Armstrong with a lovely pass into the area, the captain edges forward & shoots with his off foot ... GOAL !!! (1-0)

18:46 - Another corner that's cleared easily but Vipond chases it down in the unexpected rain shower ... plays it to Hooks who immediately spots Mole with a pass & an easy shot into the net ... but Mole was offside so it's waved off

31:12 - Hooks to Groves on the offensive end, he puts a quick pass inside to Matondo who is block tackled neatly but the ball stays right at the winger's feet ... Matondo sidesteps left and fires ... GOAL !!! (2-0)

44:01 - Kendrick with a distant freekick, he plays it forward to Purvis who's got a clean shot here ... just wide of the far side post

44:48 - D'Laryea flies forward in his own end to head out a goal kick, the ball is placed perfectly to Mole who takes off toward the arc ... he's shoved down from behind by Josh Gowling ... the referee looks unhappy ... he's shown the Lincoln defender a red card ... suddenly we're up a man

46:26 - Kendrick's second free kick in the past minute goes to Purvis wide to the right ... he's unmarked & advances a bit before shooting ... a miserable effort that sails well away from the far post

Halftime - If you thought I was surprised at the last halftime, imagine what I'm thinking now. We've outshot 'em, kept the ball more, generally outplayed them in every way except crossing (a miserable 9% for us, a frightening 40% for them). I've got plenty to worry about, even with them down a man. Kendrick is just about spent, Matondo is starting to show signs of wear as well. This one isn't over but maybe the high morale can keep us out front for another 45 minutes. We'll go defensive at least to start the half, maybe start bleeding the clock a little bit.

57:00 - A defender misses a header & that allows Armstrong to receive a long pass from Jones & take a run down the left channel. He crosses to Mole but that's broken up ... until Mole makes a slick tackle and gets off a shot than Anyon can only parry, Robson punts it into Row Z

62:09 - D'Laryea tracks down a long pass into our end but has it tackled away immediately by Smith ... he plays it ahead to the arc to Taylor who is 1-on-1 with Hartley ... backpass to the left to Harriott, Vipond missed the interception, and Harriott immediately bangs it home. Uh-oh. (2-1)

Sub Slaughter on for Purvis, switch to a little 4-4-2 Diamond we've been working on in practice. Hooks is the DMC, Matondo the AMC, Kendrick moves up to MFL, Groves to RWB, D'Laryea to RMC, Slaughter to the back line.

66:18 - Kendrick with a throw-in to Mole right into the box, to Armstrong in the area but Anyon saves ... rebound comes loose to Matondo 8 yards away, he waits for a second & then puts the ball into the upper right corner of the net GOAL !!! (3-1) Matondo's second goal of the match

68:05 - Slaughter lays a pass ahead to Mole on the counter, he's running alone in the right channel & into the area, shoots .. Anyon makes a brilliant save & concedes the corner ... Vipond's corner is knocked out but he makes the recovery, feeds Slaughter ... he finds Armstrong unmarked ... the captain unleashes a fierce shot & scores ... but he's ruled offside

78:45 - Sub Sawyer on for Kendrick, switch back to a regular shape 4-4-2 now

Fulltime - Just when I thought I couldn't be any more amazed ... well done lads, well done indeed. 12-5 shot advantage, 58% of possession, a double dip by Matondo. Sure, they were a man down for quite a while but if you think I care about that then you're nuts. A couple of streaks ended today, Armstrong's goal was his first in 492 minutes while the goals allowed by Anyon were the first scored against him in 271 minutes.

Hartley 6.9
Kendrick 7.6, Jones 7.1, Purvis 6.8, D'Laryea 8.0 & 1 assist
Matondo (MOM) 8.8 & 2 goals, Groves 6.9 & 1 assist, Hooks 6.8, Vipond 6.7
Armstrong 7.6 & 1 goal, Mole 7.1
Subs: Slaughter 6.9, Sawyer N/A

Dec 10, 2011 (post-match)
Blyth has been given $8k for winning aginast Linconln in the English FA Trophy First Round
Fun post-match presser, hard not to let the elation show

A bit later I hear from Graham Fell that John Alexander wanted to see me. He's concerned that he doesn't feature in the first team plans, yadda yadda. Umm ... yeah, that's a pretty good guess. I offer to find him a loan, he wants to go permanently. Umm ... okay. Fine by me, a non-contract player who had not appeared in a league match or cup match all season and was barely a sub in friendlies. A 26 y/o holdover from the past, there was very little to recommend him, I hope he finds a spot elsewhere. (Now watch me discover that he was secretly the most popular guy on the team or something)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote