View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The draft didn't go quite as planned. Instead of relinquishing their 1sts and 2nds, they lost their 3rds and 4ths.

A few tricks up the sleeves that I noticed:

The Bulldogs and Tigers (previously the Steelers) protected two kids each, but also later drafted a coach's son that just so happened to be in the draft room. The Bulldogs still technically only had two coaches in the room, but the Tigers violated the rule by having three coaches in the room.

I felt a bit ripped off by both moves. I don't officially have an assistant, yet the Tigers and Bulldogs are three deep already? I shouldn't draft their 3rd assistant's son? Why can't a coach move over and help me out? Because it's a bit of the good ol' boy gentleman's agreement, that's why. Crap.

Still, I feel like I raked in this draft. RAKED. RAKED.

I set up with my laptop out, excel sheets, draft list in hand, form to write out who was taken and when, the works. I'm ready for business.

First, though, I got hosed. One of the top 9 year olds got protected by the Bulldogs, that's fine. Steve and the Trojans (formerly the Bears) took the next best nine year old. Now I can protect two. At this point, I was still thinking that this would be costing me my top two picks, so I figured they're better served on the nine year olds.

With the cost being a 3rd round and 4th round pick, I'd have probably been better served taking the 10 year olds.

Anyhow, I took nine year olds based on misinformation. Still worked out great for me, I think. I took Nick C. first. Nick's a hitter, a little redhead with a mean streak from what I could tell. I think he'd be a good back, I think he'll be a heck of a defensive end, honestly.

Nick's ability scores honestly showed average ability. He scored a rather average on the Poli Ability Test (PAT) of 23.26. However, he was quite the talk of the coaches during the combine week and yesterday in pads. He was well thought of, so I took some points off for that. I also took off points based on his experience and aggressive attitude. Next thing you know, he's near the head of the class.

I love the pick, and then I find out there's a rule in the association that states if you take a brother of someone in the league, you are required to take the other in the 3rd round of that age group.

SWEET!
So, not only did I get the big hitter out of the 9 year olds, I just landed the kid's older brother David, who is of the same mold, AND IN THE THIRD ROUND. SWEET!!!

I love this game.

Last edited by Poli : 08-01-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote