View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #132
muns
Pro Starter

3. Chief Rum-

Like Magic number and JimmyOOTP before him (no they aren’t even in the same league as far as Chief Rum goes) I just didn’t know where to even start with him.

There is so much information, stats, discussions, trades whatever, that you can basically draw and arrow -------------> and say insert whatever you want to talk about there and Chief would have been involved in it.

Another bigger than life type guy that FOOL has had the pleasure of keeping in its league. The heaviest of heavy weights not only in terms of stats, winning exc, but in creating, managing and pushing FOOL to what it’s ultimately become in my eyes, the greatest sim league concept that’s on the net.

I can honestly sit here and say that if we didn’t have Chiefs big personality around to help us through our “dark periods” I’m not totally sure FOOL would have made it and lasted to what it is now.

We all know about Chiefs Longevity and his winning ways speaks for itself, however id like to go ahead and highlight some of those things for us all. He is 4703 and 4194 for a winning percentage of 529. That ranks him 7th all time in FOOL. He has 14 first place finishes which ranks him 2nd all time (only 4 behind the leader) and he has 24 playoff appearances which ranks him first all Time. Just in case you weren’t sure, no you didn’t read that wrong, I said 2nd all time in first place finishes and 1st all time playoff appearances.

The next stat line is also fantastic; however it could also be used as Chief’s Chink in his FOOL armor plating. Chief has 4 titles, but with 24 playoff appearances that could be considered on the low end. I however don’t because there are 26 other guys either in this league or guys that have dropped out that don’t have 1 single title. I will also readily acknowledge how much of a crap shoot playoff ball is, as we have historically seen plenty of series get decided on some stupid OOTP issues.

Chief has been the standard for consistency in FOOL for 40+ FOOL seasons. Chiefs most success in old FOOL came in the years 2002-2010. He made the playoffs 6 out of 9 seasons (including 4 seasons in a row) and won back to back championships in 2007-2008. As a side note, only 4 managers have ever won back to back titles and Chief is one of them.

In new FOOL, it’s been more of the same from good ole Chief. From 2017-2029Chief made the playoffs 9 times including 5 seasons in a row from 2025 through 2029. Here is another fun fact/stat for ya. Did you know that in all of Chiefs 45 seasons he makes the playoffs at a clip of 53% of the time??? Consistent my ass huh lol.. You could set your watch to that stuff right there!

It’s not just about what Chief has done in game though. He has always been around here on the boards being Chief. He isn’t afraid to put you in your place or share his opinion, right or wrong. (He will tell you he is never wrong but don’t let him fool ya!!! ) It’s tough to sum him up with a few posts but im going to do the best I can and post some of Chiefs moments here in FOOL.

Chief you also need a big shout out and a huge thank you for helping FOOL become what is is!!! We are lucky to have you and call you one of "us".

Chief smack talking
Smack Talk - Front Office Football Central

How Chief builds a team
My Way (How Chief Rum Builds A Team) - Front Office Football Central

A nice contribution when he had the time was the “next 10)
The Next 10 (2017) - Front Office Football Central

Chief helping out trying to figure out if we should keep the playoff sim the same as the regular season sim.
Playoffs Same Sim as Season? - Front Office Football Central

Chief pushing FOOL to keep together
The Future of FOOL - Front Office Football Central

Chief doing a preview
2002 Team Positional Rankings and Preview - Front Office Football Central

Like I said im sure I missed some, but those are the ones I chose. Thanks for being you Chief; I enjoy having you around these parts.

2. Dark Cloud-

To use a phrase that gets used often in many different areas, “the man, the myth, the legend”, the Dark Cloud….. DC was the brains behind FOOL some 16months ago, and his baby turned into what I have already said is the best sim league on the net. It was such a good idea that FOF has adapted its own very version of FOOL which is called FOWL here at FOFC.

When you have a totally different game, on a totally different format copying you, you know you have arrived……. Period….. FOOL for me and like most others has been a drug. I can no longer play single player in OOTP anymore, as it’s simply not as fun as FOOL. I have tried and tried to the best of my ability to remedy that, but I need my FOOL fix.

Along with not being able to play single player OOTP, I can no longer play slow multi player across all sim games period. I just have no desire to play in a league that plays one season in a year. I crave being able to see a guy I drafted in the first round turn into a hall of famer 2 months later. For me there is simply no other way to play. So DC you have created something special and unique, but you’re a bastard for killing my other games/ league experiences

To put a personal touch on it, I went though a lot of stuff 3 years ago, and FOOL was my outlet, and by that extension, I give some credit to the idea and league for helping me get back onto my feet per se. Not only did I want to see my hall of famer I wanted to argue who went into the hall of fame…

No other league can touch what we have here, and DC a modest thank you is all I can offer for your brilliant idea. You started a new concept for text sims and one im looking forward watching and growing even more. Your a pioneer.

Even Markus couldn’t keep up with how brilliant an idea it was. I mean what idiots would actually play OOTP with Injuries off and actually expect injuries to be off??? We made Markus have to come up with some dumbass excuse for why simulated injuries actually did happen when they were supposedly off and then got ignored anyway?!?!?!!?
That right there also says we have arrived…..

DC game wise wasn’t all that shabby either even after hopping all around the league like it was his personal playground.

I mean how many guys would you know that could get bored with one team, move onto the next total rebuild job, and in 2 seasons have them in the playoffs AND not kill his win percentages over time??? That sums up DC in a nutshell there.

He went 2383 and 1937 for a ridiculous win percentage of 552%. That % ranks him 4th all time in FOOL history, however if I modify the rules a bit, puts him 2nd all time for people that have played more than 1,000 FOOL games. He also has finished in first place and made the playoffs 9 times in his career. And ohh by the way he does have 4 rings to go along with all of the other accolades ive already mentioned.

Fun fact/ question? Can you name all the Franchises that DC has managed???? Let’s start with his famed St. Louis Terriors (1961-1965 Also home to our Hall of Fame), the Chicago Thunderstorms (1970-1979) the Boston Bombers (1981-1988), the Compton Brothers (1966-1969) and finally the Boston Settlers (2027). You would think at some point he would start to loose but as you can tell that never really did take affect.

It’s kind of tough to commend someone for being so active on the boards when you were the brain child of the league and commished it for a good number of years, so I won’t do that. Instead ill just say Ron, you are the man behind FOOL, the one that got us started, and someone that ill owe a great deal of gratitude too for a long long time. For all of us (yes I am speaking for us all here) in FOOL, thanks for all the work bud. I can’t think of a better place to waste my time at work, or off time when im on call, or relieve stress because our head coach has no idea wtf he is dong.

Some of DC’s moments are below and mind you most of these are going to be focused on our history. I felt those are most appropriate for DC, but there are clearly other areas where he was instrumental. Feel free to look up his profile if you want more.

The birth of FOOL
Interest in an a fast-sim OOTP league? - Front Office Football Central
Sign-up Thread for FOOL - Front Office Football Central
Now what? Welcome to FOOL (1964) - Front Office Football Central

The start of Championship banners
Championship Banners - Front Office Football Central

1964 Consolation Draft that turned into us figuring out feeder leagues were going to be a problem
1964 Consolation Draft - Front Office Football Central

The CRE List
1964 Consolation Rookie Exemptions (CRE) List - Front Office Football Central

Divisional play
Divisional Play - Front Office Football Central

The DH Proposal
Designated Hitter Proposal - Front Office Football Central

The Vulture league
Idea: Vulture League - Front Office Football Central

Fool after 10 years
The Facts of FOOL - Front Office Football Central

The “win window”
The "Win Window" - Front Office Football Central

14 years of FOOL history
Chronicling the past champions of FOOL (1961-present) - Front Office Football Central

Best team nicknames in FOOL
Your favorite FOOL franchise nickname ever/Your favorite FOOL Classic memory - Front Office Football Central

1. Alan T-

You know as I was doing this list and figuring out who was going where and why, the last 2 spots were never in question or in doubt as to who would be where.

While DC was the brains behind the operation and made FOOL “happen” Alan became FOOLS Heart and Soul. No Alan to me means no FOOL.

And before I continue here, I want to make sure Alan that you thank your wife for all of us here at FOOL. I’m sure there were and are on more than a few occasions that you put FOOL where it shouldn’t have been on a priority list and you took a bullet for us. So please make sure she knows she too is also appreciated.

So Alan’s timeline in FOOL kinda looks something similar to this.

Original GM

Winningest gm in history

a few more seasons pass

Still winningest gm in history now with the most titles

FOOL guardian counselor and therapist

FOOL savior

And then finally FOOL commish.

Seriously is anybody thinking I missed something here???

As the ultimate gentleman and FOOL ambassador he has been a fantastic fit for FOOL and its followers. Alan has stepped up every single time something needed to be done or stepped up too, all while again managing on its best day a ship that barely needs a captain, and at its worst, a ship that has the crew all jumping overboard while he tries to patch the holes himself so it doesn’t sink.

I can’t even begin to explain how much he has done around here. From the troubleshooting when the server goes down, to trying to get bugs looked at over on the OOTP forums, to the numerous studies he has done on modifiers, stolen base percentages exc, to the weekly articles called the village idiot, to picking the WBC teams and running the tournaments, to our brand new website, to putting all the time into our new found stat books and franchise history sections, to our fun fact quizzes, to inducting our hall of fame classes. Man in looking at that list it’s a wonder how you have time to do much else, and im sure I missed a few other things that you do on a daily basis.

But if all of those reasons weren’t enough to land him the number 1 spot on the list, ill get into Alan’s FOOL records are as a GM.

He has won 2353 and lost 1570 which puts him right at the 60% mark. That ranks him first all time in FOOL history for winning percentage, and he is the only FOOLER to have a mark above 58%. He also has 11 first place finishes which ties him for 3rd place all time, and 16 playoff appearances which puts him tied for 4th all time. All nothing to sneeze at if you’re asking me.

What’s truly disgusting though is that Alan has 7 Fool titles which ties him for 2nd place all time in FOOL history. That’s 7 titles in 25 years for roughly 28 percent. So let me put that in perspective for you PEEPS. That’s almost a title every 4 seasons!!!!! So once every month Alan would take a nice stroll into the banner maker’s office and have himself another Valdosta banner to proudly display here in the FOOL showcase.

Want more?????

Alan also is one of our 4 FOOLERS to say that he has won back to back Titles and is the ONLY GM that can say he has EVER won back to back to back or a “3 peat”. It’s never been done since his Valdosta teams did it from 1970- 1972.

He also is only one of 4 FOOLERS to say that he had a team that won for an entire decade as his Valdosta teams wiped the mat with any and all teams as he made it to the Classic 6 times winning 3 in the 1970’s.

What more can I really say about the man?? He is a winner, a great guy, and our beloved commish.

Lastly Alan ive been thanking a lot of people in this countdown, but the biggest needs to go out to you!!! You’re the one that puts in the time the most here and still continues to do so. So again as ive said before if there is no you there is no FOOL.

Thanks for all you do from all of us here that play!!!!

I’m going to again leave you with some of the things Alan has done here, and mostly it will be history stuff, but its all a good read.

A Season Preview
1971 Season Previews - Front Office Football Central

A Glimpse into the the mind of Alan during a FOOL Classic (a fantastic read)
Valdosta's 1971 FOOL Classic Managerial Log - Front Office Football Central

Valdosta’s wall of Excellence
Valdosta's Wall of Excellence - Front Office Football Central

What might have been, how the realignment with DH changed FOOL
What Might have Been? - Front Office Football Central

Average age of players study (in old fool)
Average age of team study - Front Office Football Central

1977 FA report Card
The 1977 Free Agency Report Card - Front Office Football Central

Win Shares!!!!!
1980 WinShares listed by team - Front Office Football Central

1981 things to watch for
1981, Things to watch for! - Front Office Football Central

The first Village Idiot
The 1985 Village Idiot - Front Office Football Central

Restrictions on MLC’S
Opinion Poll: Do you feel some restriction should be put in place for MLCs? (Reposted - Front Office Football Central

Stats Discussion
Stats Discussion - Front Office Football Central

Thanks to everyone that has followed the list for the past week. I had such a good time doing it. Hopefully ill be able to revisit the list in another 25 years or so. Good luck to everybody on upcoming seasons!!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote