View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #672
Radii
Head Coach

Friendly #2

We travel to Braintree, one of our feeder clubs. We're 1:20 favorites.

We get a goal from Neil Gordon in the 6th minute and get complacent. We allow goals in injury time in the 1st half and in the 47th minute and fall behind 2:1. That wakes us up though, Constantino scores in the 52nd, and Khan in the 55th to pull back ahead. After making our subs, reserve midfielder Dave Newman scores in the 79th minute to finish it off.

Assits from Soo-jin, Gordon, Constantino and Ian Taylor (Reserve ST).

Braintree 2 : 4 Ipswich

New Signing

We get some really really good news as one of the two work permits I had outstanding were approved on appeal! Its the one I expected:

Welcome 31 y/o MC McDonald Mariga to Ipswich. Hm I may have gotten a bit excited here and given him the 2 year contract he wanted for $36,500/wk. Its got a relegation clause. He turned 31 in April so hopefully he's got two good years left in him.

Mariga spent the last 5 years with Rostock in Germany, bouncing between the First and Second division literally every other year. Dominant in the 2nd division and putting up solid 6.8 type ratings in the first for teams that always got relegated. He came to Rostock from Parma for $10.5 Million, but they can't afford to keep him and he came to Ipswich on a free transfer.

Enough of that... my scouts swear this guy is an instant "important first team player" and I can't disagree. He could be the most talented guy on the team.

Physical: No dropoff here. 14 pace/15 accel. 16 balance/17 jumping/18 stamina/19 strength, strongest guy on the team for sure.

Mental: 18 aggression/19 bravery/16 work rate/15 teamwork/15 positioning/15 anticipation. Most other ratings in the 13-14 range. Influence 10, Composure 11, his two lowest ratings here.

Technical:: 14 marking/16 tackling/14 passing/15 heading/13 finishing/11 first touch/15 long shots. 11 technique, just 7 dribbling so he won't be running through defenses.

He's valued at $5.5 Million. We'll keep an eye on his regression but the dude looks like an absolute stud.

Friendly #3

We travel to feeder club Shrewsbury in League 1 for this one. Soo-jin hits Constantino for the first goal in the 26th minute. After making our subs Rob Lewis finds Yebda for a 76th minute goal.

Shrewsbury 0 : 2 Ipswich

I see two names I recognize on Shrewsbury. GK Lee Butcher just came over from Walsall. Butcher isn't a name you guys would know. He was on loan to Woking in my first season. He's the only starting keeper I ever had at Woking other than Kevin Lynch.

AMR Charlie Kenny went on loan to Woking in the 14/15 season. He played 34 matches for me that year, putting up 10 assists and earning a 7.06 rating. He was really young then. Now he's still only 21 y/o, still owned by West Ham in the EPL but has gone out on loan each of the last 4 years to League One of the Championship.

Its fun seeing recognizable names like that.

-- The Striker I was hoping to sign on the cheap decided to go to Belgium instead.

Found Money

In the 2010/11 season Ipswich sold a very, very, very young keeper by the name of Dean Stone to Aston Villa for $725,000 + a percentage of his next sale. Stone must have been 16 then. He's just 24 years old now. After never really making it with Aston Villa (they have a stud keeper that's been starting for them for the last 8 years who is 28 now, Stone never had a chance), but clearly developing really nicely, Stone was just sold to Juventus for $8.75 Million.

We had a clause to get 15% of the profit off his next transfer. We receive $130,000 now and over the next two years will receive an additional $925,000. Free Million!!

Last edited by Radii : 08-28-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote