View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #1158
Butter
Coordinator

Just because there is a right to vote and a right to bear arms doesn't mean that the right is unfettered and not subject to regulation. The government does not have a responsibility to go around handing out guns.

There is an amendment that specifically dealt with more broadly clarifying the right to vote, the 24th Amendment:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

The argument is whether or not requiring people to pay for an ID constitutes a poll tax. I think so far, that has not been the finding.

However, there is no such law on the books for guns. So theoretically they could make it prohibitively expensive to obtain a license if they really wanted.

Because of that, I would not say that the right to vote and the right to bear arms are equally protected. The right to vote has specifically been exempted from taxation. The right to bear arms has not.

Last edited by Butter : 11-14-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote