View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 12:21 AM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Even though I don't earn much, I'm trying to subscribe to the FIRE movement and I'm saving a very a good portion of my income. I'm hoping to make work optional in about 5-10 years.

Wish you all the best here. Definitely worthwhile goal, wish I had that mindset early on. I have started talking to my college age son about this goal.

I've read blogs and reddit posts about FIRE. I get folks retiring early when they are 55-60 but some of those posts about folks in 30-40's retiring don't apply to me.

1) Many say think about your retirement first before kids college. I'm of the mindset that I have an obligation to send my kids through college and not have them graduate with crushing debt. I will help out as much as I can (but if they want a graduate degree, its on them)

2) Even if you can retire at age 40, should you? You are missing out on an additional 10-20 years of making money, adding to the kitty, having a much easier retirement, and possibly leaving a larger legacy for your kids

3) I find myself relatively cash poor. The majority of my $ is in 401k/IRAs which I can't/won't touch before 59.5. Ideally I will also wait another 6-7 years for full retirement age to give an opportunity for the $ to near-double assuming historical averages. So even if I have saved up enough total $ to supposedly retire early, I don't actually have enough cash on hand to do early retirement (unless I go live in Asia, Mexico etc.)

Its to the point where I've seriously thought about stopping 401k contributions and just putting the $ into a eTrade account to grow available cash. But the tax benefits of 401k can't be beat.

4) Definitely worried about recessions and stock market crashes. We had 2 big recessions in the oughts. They stunted my savings contribution and also saving growth. I feel "behind" from where I need to be, its like a lost decade and feel the need to "catch-up". Having a recession/crash early into FIRE would not be good unless you really had reliable multiple sources of income

FWIW, this is what I read and motivated me before the recent FIRE craze. It really changed my perspective and would encourage you to read it if you haven't already.

Millionaire Next Door
Sorry! Something went wrong!

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote