View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Saturday January 1st, 1983……….GCW TV Show - Live……….WTBS Studios
Gordon Solie and Freddy Miller announcing
Attendance: 1,000 (Sell Out)

Pre-Show

Bret Hart defeated Pat Rose in 4:43 by submission with a Sharpshooter. (D-)
This match brought the crowds mood down.

The Fabulous Ones defeated Italian Stallion and Tim Horner in 7:22 when Stan Lane defeated Tim Horner by pinfall. (D-)
Tim Horner was exhausted by the end, Stan Lane and Steve Keirn both looked good.

Television Show begins

Highlights of the recent bout for the National Heavyweight Championship between Larry Zbyszko and Stan Hansen are played in a video package, in which Hansen “apparently” passes out at the end, allowing Zbyszko to score the pin. Gordon Solie mentions that Jim Barnett will have some “earth shattering” news regarding this bout shortly. (C+ )

Jake Roberts defeated Rick McGraw in 6:30 by pinfall with The DDT after Paul Ellering interfered, clocking McGraw with his cane. (E+)
Paul Ellering did some good work at ringside; the fans were turned off by the finish of the match.

The cameras return to the podium, where Gordon Solie is joined by Jim Barnett. Solie starts it off by telling the viewers that Mr. Barnett has an important announcement.
Barnett: "That's right, Gordon, as you know Larry Zbyszko defeated Stan Hansen in Marietta last week to capture the National Heavyweight Title. Well, lab tests done after match have determined that Stan Hansen was drugged with a powerful sedative, causing him to lose consciousness during the match. Based on these shocking developments, I am declaring the match a no contest and restoring the National Heavyweight Title to Mr. Hansen.”
Solie: “Shocking indeed!” (C-)
Gordon Solie came across very well, while Jim Barnett looked lost.

Larry Zbyszko storms the set in a fit of complete rage. “This is beyond preposterous, who in their right mind would concoct a story of such outlandish debauchery? Barnett, you and I both know this is a conspiracy to defraud the Living Legend and I will not stand idly by and allow this to happen!! Stan Hansen is a fat, redneck buffoon, who probably stayed out all night the day before our match, drinking some crap southern Beer like Stroh’s and tipping Cows!!! Nobody and I mean nobody has heard the last of this from me!” Zbyszko storms off as Solie and Barnett remain stoic. (D)

Bullet Bob Armstrong defeated Pez Whatley in 7:43 by pinfall with a Bulldog. (D+)
Bob Armstrong’s performance stood out as being good.

Suddenly the strains of a familiar anthem fill the studio and Gordon Solie is aghast. “Folks, I don’t quite know what to make of this…….Anybody who has followed Georgia Championship wrestling knows that song is used by none other than…..”
Three silhouettes appear in the entrance to the studio and as the lights go up Solie suspicions are correct. “The Fabulous Freebirds have returned to Georgia!!”
Michael Hayes grabs the Mic and promptly insults the fans, goes on a rant about the same old tired group of wrestlers needing a Badstreet beatdown and promises the Birds will once again reign supreme in Georgia. (D)
The crowd really turned against this segment (Not in a good way either, I was hoping for more heat here)

Mr. Wrestling II defeated King Kong Bundy in 9:23 by pinfall with a surprise cradle, ducking out of the way of a Bundy Avalanche attempt, and then rolling the big guy up. (D+)
Bundy was visibly tiring, while Wrestling II stood out as being good.

Wrestling II celebrates in the ring, acknowledging the crowd as an old nemesis makes his way to the announcers table. (B+)

The Spoiler: “You know Solie, I have had to sit and subject myself to this nonsense for far longer than I care to remember. The glorious Mr. Wrestling II, Georgia royalty, the master tactician, abusing greenhorns and scabs, while ducking the true dean of masked wrestlers, yours truly. If you had any gumption II, you would meet me tonight in a match and I can expose you once and for all!”
Solie: “But Wrestling II has just finished a match, I hardly see how that is fair?”
Spoiler: “Typical, just another excuse for him to turn his yellow tail and run!” (B)

Wrestling II makes his way to the podium and gets up in the Spoilers face; between breaths II makes it clear that he has no intention of running. “Spoiler lets call a spade a spade. You talk about cowardice?? Calling a man to fight after he has been in the ring with a 380 pound monster like Bundy shows bravery? Well let me tell you something!! I don’t care if I had wrestled 10 matches in a row, then had to run 10 miles through the scorching Georgia Sun…..I would still have enough left to kick your tail, get you gear and get ready to have your mouth shut!” II storms off as the crowd chants his name, leaving The Spoiler stunned.
Solie: “As the old adage goes, by careful what you wish for…..” (B-)

National Tag Team Title Match
Tommy Rich and Ole Anderson defeated The Road Warriors in 15:32 when Ole Anderson defeated Road Warrior Animal by submission with a Step Over Arm Bar following botched interference by Paul Ellering. Tommy Rich and Ole Anderson make defense number 1 of their National Tag Team titles. (D+)
Animal was off his game and both he and Hawk tired badly, Anderson and Rich both looked good, while Ellering was solid at ringside. The fans were turned off by the finish.

As Rich and Anderson collect their belts, The Freebirds hit the ring and attack them both from behind. Terry Gordy delivers pile drivers to both men as Hayes struts and taunts the crowd (C)

The Spoiler drew with Mr. Wrestling II in 8:36 following a double disqualification as both Wrestlers brawled into the crowd, using chairs and about anything not nailed down on each other. (D+)
Lack of selling hurt the match and the fans hated the ending. The Spoiler improved his technical skills, while Wrestling II improved his performance skills.

Overall Show Rating: C- (No Specific comments)
Television Rating – 0.10 on WTBS

Thoughts - Not a strong first effort, but I had to scrap a lot of Ole's storylines, which has him so pissed he just glares at me after the show, saying loud enough for everyone to hear that if I hadn't been raised on a Sheep farm in Utah I would still be a virgin, as well as some other even less flattering remarks.

The indifference over the Freebirds worries me, they were the most despised team in the territory two years ago and I would have thought that heat would have easily been ressurected. To top that off, despite the fact they just arrived I get a bug in my ear that Hayes wants a break and has been talking solo to Vince McMahon.....Not good!

I also realize the fans don't seem to like screwy endings and the Spoiler / II match is a letdown, despite the high marks there promos received.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote