View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I do need to get the word out there about FOF7.

In my opinion, this is the most important part. You need to get the word out before you attempt going on steam. But how best to do this?

I have a couple of somewhat radical suggestions.

1) Make your own official game message board for FOF.

2) Put a link to that message board on a splash screen for your game like OOTP does.

3) Concentrate just on graphics for your next update.

The FOF message board used to be about FOF. It used to be about text sims, now it is just for guys who like to talk about things.

The end result is that on the FOF section of the message board the earliest message on the front page is from Feb 1. Compare that to the official ootp14 message board, where the earliest message on the front page is from Feb 23.

Even this very thread has hardly had any views and it is an important thread about the future of the game!

Also there is no official place to put bug reports. There is no official place to put suggestions for the next game. The message board is no longer conducive or friendly to talking FOF. Heck, even football. The thoughtful messages you put on your frontier blog should be generating a lot more discussion than they do.

Make a new FOF message board that is just about football and FOF. Maybe it won't work, but at least it will be the focus of the entire board unlike the state of the current board.

Then put a link to that board in your game on a splash screen on the game. To encourage people to register for the new board, offer to put people's names in draft classes. On the message board, put up stickies that encourage discussion on bugs, suggestions and debate around your frontier blog topics.

Lastly I would focus on graphics, I'm no market researcher, but by far the most popular thread about FOF is about the graphics. Bite the bullet and focus on a massive upgrade on the graphics. Hopefully this will generate sales and will allow you to focus more on the nuances of the game, gameplanning and financial stuff in newer versions.

The fof community has been great for you and quite frankly has been great for me too. However, it is time for you to start a new community for your game that will focus just on your game and football to grow a following so that way your support will be strong enough to do a kickstarter or to sell a game on steam etc.