View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
The only other con I see is if you are not the first true American football to be on Steam first, your game will be compared to the first one that does.

I hope it doesn't work that way. I'm sure Football Mogul has outsold FOF by 10-to-1, because Clay has put together a better sales network and even gets his games into Wal-Mart. When I first started work on FOF, before I even talked about it on Usenet, Clay announced Football Mogul. I was terrified because he had this great product out there already and I thought no one would even look at my work as long as there was an alternative. But it worked out well. It turns out they are very different products and appeal to different customers. There's even significant crossover.

I've always operated under the assumption that competition builds sales for the entire genre, and people who are interested in a genre try different products and have different favorites at different times.

So competition works - Arlie has a couple of football games out there, and my sales always increased when he put out something. Gary has talked about it, and even had someone working on one for a time. And OOTP is about to put one out. Looking at Francis' blog, it's clear he's someone who "gets" text simming, and he's willing to take on the hundred-ton elephant of true 2D in a football sim. His take will be very different from mine and we'll probably both benefit from each other.