View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #35
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
You War of the Worlds raters, can you explain what you didn't like? I'd probably give it a 7 or 8 myself.
Good
Big alien thingies blow up lots of stuff.
(I thought the alien tripod thingies were awesome.)

The way the movie captures the confusion and fear of the invasion.
(The whole storm, alien's erupt from Earth touch was well done, I thought. The scenes of destruction were well done.)

Some action sequences and the special effects that went with them.
(I thought some of the action sequences were spectacularly well done.)

Bad
The ending
(Not sure why it bothered me now. I liked the original version and assumed this one would end the same way. Somehow it seemed more contrived this time. Almost as if it were a cop out.)

The sub-story
(The "deadbeat dad becomes hero/go to Boston" story seemed jumbled, weak, clunky, and unconvincing. And where was everyone going anyway? Were they all trying to go to Boston? Why? I'm not sure I ever figured that out. Maybe it had something to do with the Red Sox?)

Pacing of movie. Too much time in basements
(In particular, the Tim Robbins episode in the basement. Much too long, and didn't really do much, IMHO, to advance anything in the story. Almost felt like the movie went on pause here.)

Scope of movie
(Although in many ways, I think they captured the fear and confusion of the invasion well, I think they should have done more to give a sense of the global scale of the invasion other than the various rumors and one scene in the news truck. I admit, the way they played the story out it would have been unlikely that the characters would have access to this info, but still, I thought they should have captured the invasion on larger scale.)

Acting
(None of the actors seemed to reach anything close to their potential here. I actually like some of Tom Cruise's work and really enjoy a lot of Tim Robbins' stuff, but neither of them seemed particularly effective here. The kids were, well, kids. Neither impressed me.)

No Godzilla Appearance
(As my good friend Yuusui says, "Think of any movie you know. Now add Godzilla. Better movie." This movie, especially, had tons of Godzilla potential. If it were my movie, I would have had Godzilla sweep in and kill all the aliens at the end. That would have rocked. You know it.)

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-15-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote