View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #45
Klinglerware
College Starter

Glad to hear that you are working on this again, HR.

My .02--I know that nobody wants to micromanage academics, but with that being said, I think that academics should count for something. As someone who often plays FBCB with Ivy League schools, it is a tad unrealistic that I can recruit someone with a 850 SAT score and see him get through without any academic difficulties.

A relatively simple solution would be to assign a rating to each school based on academic rigor. 3-Ivy/Service Academy type schools that cut their athletes no slack, 2-Schools like Duke and Stanford, which are normally considered elite academically, but can still manage to keep athletes with good (but not necessarily stellar) academics eligible, 1-Everyone else.

So, the school's academic rating could be coupled with the player's academic rating to determine the probability that player will be suspended due to academics at any given point. So, a guy with a 850 will be more likely to run into trouble at a 3 school, but may skate through a 1 school.

Again, this solution does not require micromanagement since it will only affect the chance of suspension. But, if you are coaching a school with higher academic standards, it does force you to do a cost-benefit on whether recruiting a low academic performer is worth the trouble.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 11-24-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote