View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I think Oklahoma Joe's is good but overrated. It's the trendy pick as a top 3 BBQ joint in KC but it's not that good with me. Gates is better than it was for a while -- I think Ollie got over extended with his restaurants there for a while and the quality of the meet was very low. It's a lot better now than it was, but I agree that it doesn't meet the reputation. I will agree with Bryant's -- I think it's best days are behind them.

Jack Stack/Smokestack is probably the consensus pick for No. 1 these days. I do think that overall it's very good.

Generally, I like different places for different things. Jack Stack has the best sides and is tied with Gates for burnt ends. I love Smokehouse (Gladstone) for chicken. Wabash in Excelsior Springs has my favorite sliced meet -- best sliced turkey and pork for sure.

A lot of the smaller places to me are better than the big names. Winslow's and LC's are pretty good. I'm embarrassed as a BBQ connoisseur that I haven't been to Danny Edwards -- I hear it's awesome.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote