Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #13
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
But when does a person put on there boots and work for privilege?

Never. That's the whole definition of privilege. Privilege is an advantage granted only to a particular individual or group.

Purely anecdotal example: I remember when I first joined the IT workforce in the late '90s and it was kind of like discovering buried treasure because there was this treasure trove of casual, high paying jobs that didn't necessarily require a college degree that was entirely hidden to me until I was essentially invited into that world. I bring that up because I imagine that the world is seen through similar (but much much more profound) blinders by a lot of poor black kids, because to a great degree your surroundings and support structure define and restrict opportunity, regardless of how hard you work.

How many poor kids in crumbling public schools even know what a pharmaceutical sales representative or an estate lawyer or a pathologist or a business analyst are? Folks who start out born in those upper-class (or even middle-class) circles gain a significant privilege by simply knowing such careers exist and how one goes about getting them.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-27-2019 at 11:19 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote