Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #38
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
On this board at least, I'm sometimes a loud voice. I know I'm really far left at this point and can get very... "passionate" about some things. That said, guilt doesn't serve a purpose here, but understanding and awareness do. None of us here who have had this privilege our entire lives need to feel terrible for that. Making the effort to listen and learn about the experiences and struggles of those who have disadvantages - without feeling the need to go with a "not all white people" or "not all men" response that minimizes their experiences. Teaching your kids to value people for whoever they are, discouraging behavior - even if it seems harmless in a moment - that would make a woman/person of color/LGBTQ individual uncomfortable.

The short of it is that if we listen a little more, make an active effort to understand the experiences of folks who didn't get the same head start we do, we'll find a whole lot of empathy that can just make existence a little bit better for everyone. Anything past that is gravy, but man that's a great start.

Well put. I was listening to a podcast the other day that was an interview with a former mayor of somewhere. This lady was focused what do about your "whiteness." The poor interviewer talked about being white like a disease that she feels great shame for. That is just too far. It is like there is only white supremacy and white shame, nothing but extremes. Recognizing white privileged doesn't equal self-flagellation. As Radii said, it is being empathetic, and recognizing a need for social and systematic change.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote