View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #382
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jul 15, 2013

Another friendly, this time hosting Hartlepool in that contractually obligated match they give us as part of the feeder club deal. Different lineup as we both try to work players up to match fitness and figure out what our actual best first team lineup is. We'll rock a 4-4-1-1 Counter to start

GK: McDonald
D: Holden, Berry*,Williamson, King*
MF: Musungu, Hands, Smyth, Thompson
AMC: Lobjoit
ST Clarke-Harris

Available: (Kay, Paratore*,Nwachuku*, Wilson, Wignall*,Egbeku*,Seery, Whitely, Farren, Quinn*, Janneh, Gonzalez)
* indicates trialists

12' - Mullen heads home a short free kick after disengaging our DC's (0-1)
15' - Seems funny to see Rowbotham playing against us
24' - Berry misses high with a header off a corner
39' - Odelusi with a long run past Berry, feeds Mullen in the area (0-2)
Halftime - Heavens to Betsy have we looked bad. 5 players with <6 ratings bad. Only 3 with rating of 6.6. The cumulative stats aren't terribly lopside (outshot 4-2 for example) but we're just doing next to nothing.

We switch to a 4-4-2 Standard, simply pushed Lobjoit further forward
Sub two players who look "uninterested" & one for fitness
45' Sub Gonzalez (for McDonald), Egbeku* (for Lobjoit), Wilson (for Musungu)

54' Clarke-Harris on a run in traffic, keeper comes out to deny him
55' Smyth plays a ball just a bit long, Clarke-Harris stumbles & manages only a weak header easily saved
56' Sub Whiteley (for Hands)

65' Sub Nwachuku* (for Thompson dinged), Quinn* (for Berry)
71' Sub Janneh (for King), Wignall* (for Smyth), Switch to 4-4-2 Diamond Att
81' Williamson trips Millien after getting beaten in the midfield, yellow card
84' Clarke-Harris awful effort on a shot right out in front all alone
87' Clarke-Harris gets another try blocked, misplays a cross on the rebound

Fulltime Hartlepool 2 - Blyth 0
We ended up outshooting them 10-7, with 6 of the shots coming from Clarke-Harris. 4 of those shots were on target but were pitiful efforts that weren't even close. That's his m.o., bursts of flair that lead to shots but nothing really threatening, which is how he ends up with a 5.8 rating. After telling the team as a whole that they'd have to play better in a real match, I speak to a lot of players individually based on their performance. Notable is the angry reaction from trialist Jamie King (5.9) when I point out that I'm not happy with his performance. Attitude? After you play poorly? Not a way to get yourself a contract bub.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote