View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 AM   #984
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy
counter intuitively I think depending on mentality decreases the consistency of a player.

I definitely agree with this, and you put it well. Problem with Chiba is he's been plenty consistent - as in, consistently underperforming for 90% of the past year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy
I think only realised the strength of the top 32 when I saw his ranking breakdown. So many challenger wins and still was not in the top 32.

That part of it isn't that unusual. Historically, the points required for #32 are usually 1300-1500 (1518 right now is Kasaravalli on that spot exactly). Last few years were 1425, 1375, 1300, and 1390 at the year-end. So it's a little high but not a huge difference. What I see as being different at the moment is that you'll sometimes get a few really good Challenger players, but then they move up, the points spread out to others and things equalize again. There's a lot more quality depth though now, to the point where there's about an extra 0.2 BS rating points needed to move up than usual, and no sign yet of it abating.

ETA: Interesting factoid: #10-14 in the rankings lost points. #29-37 gained points, except for one that stayed the same. The AO definitely reshuffled the deck significantly, a process I expect to continue. That one was Plushenko, who has the same amount of points he had before … and dropped from 31st to 36th.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-26-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote