View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #120
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Like Cro Cop did

I know its popular to hate the UFC as a true MMA fan, but I think PRIDE was overrated (patch e). The UFC and PRIDE federations were very similar in quality IMO. The only guy who may come in and boss a division is Fedor. I don't think he will run through people, but I can't see anyone beating him.

They were similiar qualities in some respects, and the UFC was better in some respects. Their welterweight division was just stacked. I do not think that UFC was of similiar quality in Heavyweights though. Sylvia and Arlovski were up there, and uhh..Mir maybe? Pride had Fedor who is unquestionably the top Heavy in the world, and Big Nog who I think is #2. Then when you go to the next tier you have guys like Cro Cop, Hunt, Aleks, Sergei, Werdum, and the list just goes on. They were stacked there.

I think they had the LHW/Middleweight class also. Who did UFC have other than Chuck? Tito? It just wasn't competitive.

With people like Hughes, St. Pierre, Penn, etc.. the UFC was far above there, but Pride at lightweight had a phenomenal roster. Those are the guys who aren't big draws but who I want to see get some air time. The Bushido events were some of the best MMA cards I had seen. Those guys get after it. I was really sad to see Zuffa cancel the planned Pride LW Grand Prix.

Oh well, doesn't matter who was better then now anyway. I'm glad to see some of them squaring off now. The argument of Cro Cop failing to dominate when he came over can be replied with look at Chuck. The best UFC fighter was beat by a guy who was probably what, at most the #3 guy in his weight class in Pride? Nog is a much better fighter than Cro Cop. Nog has grappling that is just amazing, and he's a very competent boxer now as well, not to mention the guy has a brick for a head. He should do very well for himself. I'm sure he'll get booed 95% of the time doing it as well.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote