View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #239
Radii
Head Coach

Free Agency

After signing my draft picks I have $16.91 million in cap room available this year.

It seems that many of the players who talked about testing free agency have indeed done so. Here's the top FA's:

C Dwight Howard - 93 OVR - 26 y/o

PG Derrick Rose - 90 OVR - 23 y/o

SG OJ Mayo - 89 OVR - 24 y/o

C Tim Duncan - 85 OVR - 36 y/o

C Brook Lopez - 85 OVR - 24 y/o

SF Michael Beasley - 82 OVR - 23 y/o

PF Anthony Randolph - 83 OVR - 23 y/o

SG Eric Gordon - 81 OVR - 23 y/o

C Nene - 80 OVR - 29 y/o

Day 1

I look through the list and just decide to go all out... I offer OJ Mayo a 5 year/$85 million deal that maxxes his interest, starting at $14 million and ending at $19.8 million.

That potential offer takes up enough of my FA budget that I am really risking it all on Mayo.

Day 5

After about 5 days of free agency I look at the offers out for Mayo, the Clippers have offered a similar deal but given a player option at the end. The Grizzlies have tried to keep him w/ a 1 year deal and he seems to like Memphis b/c he likes their pedestrian offer.

Since I'm banking so much on Mayo, i modify my offer to a 4 year+player option deal as well.

Day 9

By day 9(out of 23) I check the transaction page and no one of top significance has signed yet. Ray Allen is going to play another year in Toronto for under $2 million.

Day 15

By day 15 a few bigger name players have signed:

DJ Augustin to Phoenix 4 years/$33 million
PG Ramon Sessions - Portland - 4 years/$36.5 million

Mayo now has a large number of offers that he really likes. I decide that I can't just hope he picks us all the way to the end. I also take a look at the young and improving Eric Gordon, a SG rated 81 OVR. I offer him a 5 year/$60 million deal that starts at $10 million even. He is looking elsewhere too and there's no guarentee that I'll land either, but if I were to get Gordon then I'd have to be happy with that of course, and I've have a little room elsewhere.

Day 21

I debate hedging even more and offering some guys like Kirk Hinrich just to make sure I have the position solidly filled. In the end I don't, and its on day 21 that I get the news:

OJ MAYO HAS SIGNGED WITH THE CHARLOTTE BOBCATS

Charlotte just got really, really, really good.

We now have $2.77 million under the cap only, leaving me with room for a backup signing and I can use my MLE if I want. Obviously I don't care about going over the cap if I see someone I like, so i poke around.

There are a few high level (80+) targets available but I know I can't land any of them now. After the top 6 guys rated 80+ we fall down to guys rated 71 OVR and below.

I could use someone to help me keep Stephen Graham off the court and i find the ideal target in SG/PG Toney Douglas.

I end up offering my mid-level exception to the 71 rated PF, but i doubt he's going to accept. That guy happens to be beloved Tar Heel Tyler Hansbrough, but he has a lot of offers, a few of them that would have him starting, and i can't give him that, so I assume he ends up elsewhere.

Day 23

Eric Gordon signs with Cleveland(now there's an addition that Lebron can work with).

Tyler Hansbrough signs with Boston.

Toney Douglas was a restricted FA and the knicks Matched my offer, he goes back to New York.

And that officially ends the offseason free agent period. We only made one signing, but damn if it wasn't a big one. I do want to sign a backup point guard so I'll be looking to do that during the season assuming I'm still able to use my MLE then(or grab a guy for under $2 million)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote