View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

30 April 2016

Loughborough University FC
The Cups, 2015/16

The FA Cup
Our run in the FA Cup was a very short one, as we lost to a spirited Crawley Down side in the Preliminary Round. This match fell in between two tough league fixtures, so I fielded a rotated squad and paid the price for my decision.

Preliminary Round: Crawley Down 1-0 Loughborough University

The Midland Football League Cup
Again, I chose to give some backups a chance against local rival Leicester Nirvana. We treated the crowd to a cracking match, which we lost in extra time.

Second Round: Leicester Nirvana 3-2 Loughborough University

The Leicestershire & Rutland Challenge Cup
Ironically, we drew St Andrews--the small club I was managing in my ill-fated FM 15 dynasty--in the First Round, and we dispatched them fairly easily. Next came Quorn, with whom we dueled on equal terms for 120 minutes before beating them on penalties.

That earned us a date with cup holders Barwell, who finished second in a league two levels higher than ours. They took care of us with ease, and went on to successfully defend their title.

First Round: Loughborough University 3-1 St Andrews
Second Round: Quorn 1-1 Loughborough University (Loughborough win 4-3 on penalties)
Semi Final: Barwell 3-0 Loughborough University

The FA Vase
Unlike the other cup competitions, I went all in to win the FA Vase. We entered the competition in the Second Qualifying Round and defeated Bolehall Swifts when Danny Whitehall netted in extra time. Then we saw off Long Eaton United in the First Round, and more heroics from Whitehall--this time, a penalty in extra time--enabled us to get past Winsford United.

Next was league rival Coleshill, and a goal from Jimmy Warnett put us through to the Fourth Round. Warnett struck again against Hadleigh United in our 2-0 victory.

Will Abbott's goal on the hour mark gave us a victory away to Retford United. Our next foe was Durham City. The Citizens were runaway winners of the First Division of the Northern League, finishing 18 points clear. We drew with them, 1-1, forcing a replay at Holywell Park. We fell behind in the opening minutes, only to come back with three goals and win 4-2 on aggregate.

Now came the Semi Final. We drew the worst possible matchup: the wrecking crew from FC Romania, who had scored 97 goals and conceded only 6 in league play by the time we faced them in early March.

We played them to a 1-1 draw away, and we held them for 70 minutes at Holywell Park before Elliott Legg's hearty challenge in the box gave the Wolves a penalty. They converted it, and that was that.

FC Romania went on to win the Vase, part of a magical quadruple-winning season.

Second Preliminary Round: Loughborough Uni 2-1 Bolehall Swifts
First Round: Loughborough Uni 2-0 Long Eaton Utd
Second Round: Loughborough Uni 1-0 Winsford Utd
Third Round: Coleshill 0-1 Loughborough Uni
Fourth Round: Loughborough Uni 2-0 Hadleigh Utd
Fifth Round: Retford Town 0-1 Loughborough Uni
Sixth Round: Durham City 1-1 Loughborough Uni
Sixth Round Replay: Loughborough Uni 3-1 Durham City
Semi Final, First Leg: FC Romania 1-1 Loughborough Uni
Semi Final, Second Leg: Loughborough Uni 0-1 FC Romania (FC Romania win, 2-1, in aggregate)

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 03-16-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote