View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 03:23 AM   #168
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I am so confused at the reading comprehension here...

We agree on that part. Plus, you have so many rules for discussion, and you tend to ignore them yourself when convenient (that's "factually not what's happening", "IMO", etc). Rules for me, but not for thee.

So, eventually fossil fuels run out. But when? In the 1970s, people had the same concerns, and panic ensued and the economy tanked and poor people paid the biggest price, we had high inflation and a recession and Jimmy Carter revived the Republican party from the ashes of Nixon's duplicity (Trump may be worse than Nixon in many ways, so that particular history may take longer to repeat).

Known reserves are actually larger now than they were then. So what's the emergency? We know we have to keep looking for new technologies, yet instead, we're using today's failed technologies to replace fossil fuels and the same thing is happening to the economy.

Net zero is a weird theory and requires invention of technologies that don't exist today at scale (just like the battery farms needed to power the grid when the wind isn't blowing).

Maybe we run out in 2070, but maybe we've found enough to get to 2120 by then. Shouldn't bet on it, but there's no current emergency that warrants destroying energy security today.

So I point out a government group that's tasked with measuring and hopefully encouraging grid reliability, and you just ignore the evidence.

You mention climate, but, if you really believe CO2 emissions affect the climate much, then you likely understand that what the western world doesn't burn, the rest of the world will happily burn as they steadily replace any manufacturing we once did. All this does is give Russia and China more power.

I point out that Germany and the UK are in particular trouble, and are amassing debt simply to avoid having people unable to heat their homes and you talk about debit cards of all things. No, that's not how they work - unless they can be used to devalue currency and pay for things far beyond what's in our bank accounts. If EVs become a serious option beyond the commuter toys for the upper middle-class, adding that burden to the electrical grid isn't feasible, and they all know it.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but everyone actually involved in planning knows the only way we can keep the lights on with this plan and the only way we can phase out fossil fuels today is through massive changes in our standard of living.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote